Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Fold My Set?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all of the replies. What do you guys think of my raise to $2000 on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was fine. You certainly don't want to give a free card to an ace on that flop, and if he calls, you can pretty well put him on either some kind of overpair or a flush draw. You get chips into the pot as a very likely favorite and you get some information.

Of course he's going to fold some hands here you'd rather he call with (AQ/AK unsuited), but I don't think you want to get too cute with 3 cards of a wheel on the board.

Also, look what it did to him. From his perspective, you limped something in MP after 2 limpers and then called a raise closing the action (love those EP limpers who then fold for a bet of 4x the BB btw). When you raise the flop, he's probably thinking "overpair" and he probably suspects he might be beaten (and the 2 overpairs to the board that don't beat him both have outs to the straight). When the ace comes out, he figures this is a chance to push you off of your 99/TT. At least, that's my best guess at his reasoning for the push.