Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Female/date advice (high content)

[ QUOTE ]
Why are guys so scared to tell girls they play poker? This is the second time someone has asked this. If she flips out and calls you a crazy gambler, just throw her off the Kennedy Center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I think the reason most guys are so afraid is just because the majority of people we come in contact with, look down upon it. When I decided not to go to continue school, and to persue poker full time, alot of my friends thought I was crazy. I have always made more money then they did and they still think I'm nuts. People are scared of what they don't understand. I guess thats why I'm scared because she won't understand. Also, I think now people only think you are good if they see you on tv.

Eh, just my thoughts.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:50 PM

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. If you tell her you play poker but still come across as well-adjusted and normal and all those charming things, you shouldn't have a problem. (ie: Don't talk about poker hardly at all).

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Thanks, I think so too. I have pulled off the dinner and kennedy center date before and it worked wonders. I'm a big fan of it.

Also good thoughts. The thing is I def. don't want to be just friends with her. I think she has to know this. But for starters I will make it as relaxed as I can. No flowers etc. Asides from that, the nights plan very much has date implied in it. I think if I can get past the intial convo of what I have been doing the past year or so I should be money. I also am starting to think I'm worrying about this a little to much. I guess I will just see.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM

def let us know how this turns out, gl bro
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM

def let us know how this turns out, gl bro
Old 09-19-2005, 06:04 PM

I'm not a fan of deceiving my fellow women either, but, I agreed with most of VoraciousReaders ideas.

The only change I would make is to stick a little closer to the truth. In other words, definitely do not lie, but a nice spin wouldnt hurt.

Use your judgement, she might be impressed with someone being a pro poker player. But be careful, being intrigued and having a sort of purient curiousity are not the same as being impressed.

I live near D.C. in VA suburbs and it sounds like a great date. I love the Kennedy Center Roof. Hope you have good weather.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM

I've run into this problem many times

Depends on the person. I've gone both ways.

More often than not, I tell a girl I work online in money/risk management as a financial consultant. Almost 90% of the time, this leads to no follow-up questions but a general feeling that I'm headed somewhere. It's about the third date or so that it all comes out what exactly I do. Usually, they are enamored with me enough that they look past it.

I've known very few girls who think playing poker is a 'good' profession. Fortunately, most of those girls had self-esteem issues and abuse-inducing behaviors, so the bar was set rather low (sorry, I listen to loveline too much while playing). The real issue is letting them know I'm a convicted felon--a past job of self-employed in pharmacuetical sales can mean something entirely different than they might think.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 AM

Lykas 101

Don't do all that crap for her b/c it won't get you into her panties any quicker or easier. If she wants to sleep w/you she will. A fancy date won't change her mind one way or another. Once you sleep w/this chick you'll realize that she's no different from her 2 friends and the only reason you want her is b/c you couldn't get her when you had the chance.

What to tell her you've been doing for the last year? Thats easy. Lie. Tell her you've been going to school, or doing an intership in investment banking (close enough to poker) Bottom line, by the time she figures out your a poker player, either she won't care or you won't care. Win win situation.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 AM

Tell her the truth. If she is not open minded about it, then she is not worth your time.

btw - You need to accept yourself for who you are before anyone else will be able to:

[ QUOTE ]
what am I going to tell her, I'm a degenerate gambler and play poker all day online?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 AM

wow.