Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Performance Enhancers in Poker

Whoa paul phillips uses adderall for poker too? Im not sure there is a better way to stay focused on 9 other dudes sitting around a table for hours on end.

PS. it helps with 20hr drives back from college and for days on end in the library also
Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 PM

Are you a scientologist?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Do you think it's unethical for professional athletes to use chemical performance enhancers like steroids if they disclose it? Is there any fundamental difference between the use of CPEs in something like poker and the use of comparable products in baseball? Do you find either to be fundamentally unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overlooking the major difference between baseball players using steroids and Paul Phillips using Adderall or whatever.

-Paul has a medical condition called ADHD, and for this condition he takes medication.
-Athletes who take steroids are not doing so because they have a geniune medical need for juice.

Personally I don't think Adderall, Ritalin, etc. would have a big effect on my poker game, because I don't have ADHD. It would probably buzz me up a little. And that's about it.

*happy first post to meeeeeeeeeee*
Old 07-08-2005, 05:50 PM

I think this is an interesting issue. I have two questions. First, what types or classes of drugs would enhance one's poker performance? Second, if certain classes of drugs are performance enhancing, should they be banned in tournaments? In other words, should everyone be required to take them in order to compete at a world class level?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM

I was having a problem with too much weak tight play until I went on dianabol. the roid rage is great, but i've been through six monitors and six computer room windows since then.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good luck figuring out if your hole cards are really pocket rockets or pocket deuces...I could see playing on speed or other stimulants (the sort Ungar is notorious for!!) but LSD? Wowzzzzza.....I'm all in, oh wait, I can't even see how many chips I have in front of me, are those yours, or mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the thing. no tells, because I don't know what I have. A completely unpredictable game

I'll be unbeatable, maaaaaaaan.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Idiot!

I suppose you think people with Diabetes should not be allowed to take their insulin because they play so much better when their blood sugar is normal. You may select medication/disease of chioce.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (And no, I'm not that kind of doc)
Old 07-10-2005, 11:26 AM

Urine samples with your buy in. What a depressing world.
Seriously, there is no way that any tournament director could tell any player that they could not use a legally prescribed psychostimulant. Imagine the leagal implications of having someone go off their meds just to play in a tournament.
Also, in baseball, is it not the use of illegal drugs that is problematic? Were not all people who were jammed up in this mess using illegally obtained performance enhancing drugs?
Old 07-10-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in baseball, is it not the use of illegal drugs that is problematic? Were not all people who were jammed up in this mess using illegally obtained performance enhancing drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steriods can be prescribed legally, but probably not for the purpose of hitting a baseball farther.

Ironically, current year home run totals provide little evidence that steriods (or testing for steriods) has had much impact on the game. Maybe the full year results will offer more evidence. So far, smaller ball parks, weight training, and larger talent pools seem to have more to do with increased offense over the last few decades.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:11 PM

Would I still be able to use my Daniel Negreanu Clear Focus Poker Vitamins???

The scrolling news on the right of pokerroyalty.com says that he has signed a deal to endorse vitamins for poker players. Has anyone heard anything else about this? Or better yet seen an ad?

A new low.