Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Default I feel your pain

1000 hands played and saw flop:
- 37 times out of 113 while in small blind (32%)
- 87 times out of 113 while in big blind (76%)
- 148 times out of 774 in other positions (19%)
- a total of 272 times out of 1000 (27%)

Pots won at showdown - 44 out of 121 (36%)
Pots won without showdown - 33
Old 04-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Holy Variance Batman! (n/c, small sample, rant post)

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend you stop being such a faggot. You're in the backseat. <font color="white">Don't take this seriously.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FECKING HILARIOUS.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Holy Variance Batman! (n/c, small sample, rant post)

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly the kind of table I get away from. Everything looks good stat-wise. You should be winning but you're not because one or two players are hot and are winning all the money. Every time I've tried to stick around and wait for things to change; they haven't and I proceeded to lose more money.

Now granted, some of that might have been due to my play deteriorating as the fish kept winning. But by setting a mechanical stop point I don't care why I'm losing I only know I AM losing here so I'll go find someplace where I'm winning.

Frankly, I don't see why there is such a reluctance around here to leave a losing situation to go find a winning one. It just seems like a logical thing to do. A 10 BB cutoff is probably too quick for most people but it's a number that seems to work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It works for you because it works for you. If you did something else, maybe that would work for you, too.

Remember, poker has a way of teaching short-term habits that go against the grain of the long-term aspect of it. Being results-oriented enforces this, and moving tables due to how much BB you are down is a results-oriented action.

As far as probability goes, the first hand at a new table is the consecutive to the last hand at the other table. They're not related, so moving to get better hands would be a misnomer.

What is very related is table image, and how to play the people on your table.

I would propose that being at a table where you've lost a number of decent hands... or even had to fold them becomes +EV. And more people will call you down with less. If you KNOW that's going to happen, you can make adjustments.

I would also propose that tearing a table up also gives you a table image that can push people around. People fold to raises and check/raises.

There are ways to use these images to your advantage, which you can't do when you move between tables.

Poker is situational, and long-term. You have to take all of that into account when playing your hands.

KO