Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Pocket Kings: This got out of control real quick

Been at this table less than an orbit. No reads on the villains.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (18 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

I seriously doubted I had the best hand when it came three back to me, but, hey, it's still a good draw, so I capped.
Also, I was hoping it might slow people down. I planned to check the turn if it bricked and hope it looked like a trap.

Turn: (17 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)
</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls $10 (All-In).

So much for that idea. Notice how MP2 comes to life after coldcalling the flop (and raising preflop.) Very bad sign. By the time he capped the turn, I was certain he had a straight or a set. I felt obliged to see the river though.

River: (33 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds...

Does this fold seem crazy in such a huge pot? The check and bet made me think they were both beating me. The only way I'm good here is if they're both complete idiots. And that's not even considering the all-in player...

Thoughts on any street welcome.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Pocket Kings: This got out of control real quick

I'm finding a fold on the turn when it come back to you for 2.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Tough hand. I'd fold on the turn the first time around. A straight could give you a chop at best, and since it's so clear you're up against AK, the 9's are not good outs -- and there's at most 3 aces for a chop. Get out on the turn.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM

*bump*

Any other comments? The turn seems to be controversial. Note that I'm getting 11-1 the first time it comes back to me on the turn, so I have to be fairly confident I'm up against AK for folding to be correct.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and since it's so clear you're up against AK

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he plays a set or top two this way? Waits for a safe card on the turn and pounces? Ignore the river action, I'm talking about on the turn.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so I have to be fairly confident I'm up against AK for folding to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

After examining MP2's action, aren't you? It's a tough turn fold, but I think it's probably correct. You're not closing the action either.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:20 PM

I think you played this about as well as you could , but I see why you're questioning the fold on the end. There's a ton on money out there. If it's me, I think I have to pay him off on the end knowing that I'm beat most of the time. The queen on the end makes the call harder, but I still call.

Preflop the cap makes pefect sense. On the flop, you have a big overpair with a draw to the nut straight. Yes, you could be up against AK, QQ, JJ, etc, but you could be looking at AQ too. There's a lot of money in that pot and you have to go for it. Yes, you are not too happy with you hand, but with all that money out there, you're pretty much committed to showdown.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After examining MP2's action, aren't you? It's a tough turn fold, but I think it's probably correct. You're not closing the action either.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn, no. It's a perfectly reasonable way to play a set. Also, he's an unknown, so there's always the chance he's overaggressive.

Good point about not closing the action, though. It's hard to say how heavily to weight that. I was surprised when it got three-bet, although I probably shouldn't have been.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:35 PM

I don't like capping the flop here. Why not see if someone else wants to do it? Your capping preflop didn't deter anyone from jamming the flop and if you check the turn nobody's slowing down.

I want to find a fold on the turn first time around...
Old 04-11-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding a fold on the turn when it come back to you for 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too