Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Stud/8: Weird hand

[ QUOTE ]
This is essentially a Stud Hi hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but here we have much stronger reads. Anywho, I think fifth is a clear fold.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:29 PM

Split Kings is a tough hand to play in stud/8, and you probably wouldn't be giving up much if you never played them while you're learning. With mostly high cards showing, however, they become much stronger, and I would raise third myself unless the game is very loose, which it doesn't appear to be.

bygmesterf does make a good point that the hands that make the most sense for opponent all have us beaten. That said, a lot of folks will raise coming in with Queens or even Jacks, in which case you have a great situation. And I've taken Kings against Aces and won before. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:37 PM

I would play 2 low clubs in the hole liek this as well, this at least leaves some doubt in their minds assuming the clubs were live, but they aren't.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Good points, I am just getting back to Stud/8 after playing Hold Em and usually play 1/2 - 3/6 online and ocassionally 3/6 live. I often wonder about whether I'm giving up much about not chasing hi (pairs and even suited hi cards). Not to say that I never play them (at least hi pairs occassionally), but in general I don't. Another type of hand that I find difficult is a small pair and kicker under 8. It seems like I always just catch enough to stay around but not win...that you are behind both ways. I'll sometimes play them, I just need to work on my spots. I have a Stud/8 book that I'm going to find and reread.

Just curious, are there any "must read" Stud/8 posts that anyone has links for?