Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Default 10/20 Stud/8: Weird hand

Don't remember having any reads.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

4th Street - (7.00 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (8.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (10.50 BB)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Stud/8: Weird hand

when a 9 reraises a K in stud 8, it's almost always either rolled or hidden AA. I'm tempted to fold 4th, and definetly 5th. Since you maded to 6th, you have to hope he's overplaying a small pair and call it down though it almost certainly looks like aces up here.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when a 9 reraises a K in stud 8, it's almost always either rolled or hidden AA. I'm tempted to fold 4th, and definetly 5th. Since you maded to 6th, you have to hope he's overplaying a small pair and call it down though it almost certainly looks like aces up here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2005, 11:17 PM

Seems to me 5th should be an easy fold.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 AM

I tried to quote that quote and be cool but I failed. Maybe I should learn how to actually use a computer?

I echo the above sentiments though.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:33 AM

I fold fifth unless someone gives me a good reason not to.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me 5th should be an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 AM

Default RESULTS

Villain had opned with (68)9, he went on to make a low but not the straight.

You guys are probably right, I think I ended up trying to play this hand like it was the high only games that I'm used to. In 8 or better it's much more likely that I'm really creamed on 5th.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had opned with (68)9, he went on to make a low but not the straight.

You guys are probably right, I think I ended up trying to play this hand like it was the high only games that I'm used to. In 8 or better it's much more likely that I'm really creamed on 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this hand perfectly illustrates how the normally correct play is completely changed by the specific opponent. Against a reasonable opponent, this is an easy fold. If you've seen your opponent do similar stuff, you can play the hand much differently.

Additionally, this illustrates why reviewing hand histories is pointless without knowing anything about the opponents.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

I always presume villains in HHs are reasonable unless otherwise noted. If Hero played this hand differently than normal because of a read, then that read should be included in the HH. Against an unknown, you have to presume he's reasonable and not call him down hoping he's a donk.