Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Weirdest river call I ever made

For now I'm going to leave this as a puzzle for you guys. As usual you will all think I'm nuts.

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (3.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (5.50 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (7.50 BB)
Old 09-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Weirdest river call I ever made

[ QUOTE ]
For now I'm going to leave this as a puzzle for you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

fold anywhere.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:53 PM

I just solved the puzzle. Fold 5th street. This is a bad call imo.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM

Here are my guesses:

1. You have cracked the Party server and can see villains hole cards

2. You were down to 30 seconds on collecting a bonus, and you needed one more raked hand or the bonus was forfeited.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. You were down to 30 seconds on collecting a bonus, and you needed one more raked hand or the bonus was forfeited.

[/ QUOTE ]

And lost more on the hand than the bonus was worth?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM

Well, I'm not just saying this to suck up, but I really think it's hard to fold this hand. How is he not raising you if he has a pair? After that his hand looks a whole lot like a draw, and he keeps on catching total bricks, and *dead* bricks at that. A straight draw in the hole is his most likely holding, I think, though 55 is possible.

Also, I don't know how the Party 20 game plays, but I think many opponents would check a lot of weak made hands on the river, and save their bets for one-more-bullet bluffs, or maybe if they paired nines or something.

I would probably need to have some opponent-specific information to make this play confidently, but I strongly disagree that this is an easy fold. (Fifth, maybe. Folding sixth would be horrible. Folding the river is bad without being confident of his betting pattern.)

--Nate
Old 09-27-2005, 01:13 AM

Interesting hand. Perhaps you should just give it up on fifth, but I'll guess that you have the best hand. Presumably, the Jack didn't hit him. He can't have started with three spades and then made a pair with the J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I would guess that he picked up a flush draw and decided to bet it. This doesn't make me wildly excited about your hand, but I don't think that the call was unreasonable.

On the river, either he's made something or he's bluffing. Problem is, there are a lot of bluffing hands that you can't beat. You might try a bluff raise. The more I think about it, the less I think it matters what you do, really. One advantage to calling is that you get to see his hand. He played it very strangely, and I think that that information, combined with the fact that you could conceivably win, just might be enough to swing this to a call.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM

As usual, I knew I would be lambasted, and with good cause. My early street play really did suck here, even though it's obvious he doesn't have much. The problem is it becomes obvious I don't have much either.

I still thought the river was interesting though. I couldn't see him betting out into my clubs with anything, so I figured it was a desperation bluff. And I was right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

This hand has probably already been discussed far more than it warrants heh.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:10 PM

What about raising 7th in case he is bluff with the best hand?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM

After I played so poorly you want me to get smart?