Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Adding a THIRD monitor -- do I need any additional hardware?

So I'm happily dual-monitoring with my 2001fps with the dual-DVI Matrox video card I bought...now I want to add a 3rd one. Am I going to need to purchase some newfangled 3-output video card...? Or can I just plug my 3rd monitor into the existing VGA port on the onboard graphics card that came preinstalled on the computer??

And if I CAN, what, if anything, do I need to do after I plug that 3rd sucker in? What settings do I then need to adjust to get all 3 of the monitors working in harmony?
(I ask because I thought I remembered that the first thing I had to do to get my Matrox graphics card working was DISABLE the onboard video...if that's the case, then won't I have to RE-enable it??)
Old 06-22-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Adding a THIRD monitor -- do I need any additional hardware?

I'm running the poor mans version of this, PCI card with 2 VGA ports and onboard. Had no problems with setup on my new PC but I believe I did have to change a bios setting in the old one.

I believe with XP you can still use one of your Matrox outputs as the primary monitor. Aagin though, I have the cheap version so I don't know if your matrox card will have any incompatibility issues.

I suggest just plugging it in with your onbaord card enabled and see if windows detects all 3 monitors.