Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:48 PM

Default $20/$40 7-Stud high: A weird one (or \"What was I thinking?\")

I don't remember this hand at all. Villain is a bit loose aggressive but not awful. Honestly don't know why I did what I did, anyone care to speculate?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (5.05 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.53 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (5.53 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (6.53 BB)
Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: $20/$40 7-Stud high: A weird one (or \"What was I thinking?\")

Seems to me you decided that seat 4 looked at a decidedly unscary board, and was attempting an early steal with a mediocre hand - maybe even split nines. Your raise on third, tells him that you have some kind of pair. You then decided that he had a weak two pair on sixth, and that a raise would convince him that his two pair were beat or highly likely to get beat with an overpair of 9's K's or A's. You were especially confident in convincing him of this, since your aces and kings were live.

Sound familiar?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM

I would prefer to just call sixth street here. He's not folding two pair. And if you just call, he may check two pair to you on the end, allowing you the option of betting a better hand or just turning your 9's over. The way this played out, I don't see it as very likely he only has one pair. So you have a live draw against him, but you need to improve to win. Just calling will accomplish the same thing as raising in that you will prob have option of free showdown unless he is very strong. If you improve to a big 2 pair on the end, I may raise and fold in the unlikely event you get three bet.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Yeah, it all makes sense I suppose but I'm not in the habit of trying to knock people off two pair, unless I can represent a straight at least. People in this game are notably tenacious...
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Yeah, that would be my normal line. This is another one from 4 months ago or something, I really can't tell what was up. Maybe at that time I thought this guy was REALLY loose-aggressive.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People in this game are notably tenacious...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a good reason to not get involved in the first place. I'd fold on third. I'm glad it worked out for you and all, but your line strikes me as a tad optimistic.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:43 AM

If I was playing at this level 3rd would be a fold based on the kicker, and that's if it was completely live which it isn't. (at 2/4 I fold buried tens if one other ten is out and there is other upcards)

Tilting? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers,
SDM
Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 AM

Yep.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 AM

i don't like the 6th street play. i dont think that many typical players are folding two pair here.