Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 02:20 AM

Default 55 Backs Into Straight

Just recently joined the table; no real reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero?

I realize the call on the flop is pretty weak. Pairing the ace on the turn and having it checked to me made me suspicious of a slowplayed set. The river is a sight for sore eyes but there is a bit more action up front than I would have liked to see.

Folding can't be correct here, but should I just call or raise? Is it even close?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: 55 Backs Into Straight

i fold the flop and call the river, it looks like UTG was trying for a check/raise on turn, probly has trip aces, but he may have a boat so i dont think raisng is a good plan, BB could just be betting cuz turn got checked through, hes not likely to call 2 back to him without a strong hand
Old 09-24-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: 55 Backs Into Straight

I think you've played it OK and I raise the river. Flop call is marginal, but you've got 6 outs to a hand that you'll feel pretty good about and you're getting 7:1. A raise behind is trouble and the two fives aren't very clean (especially the heart) so I'd probably fold, but I don't think a call is horrible.

I like the turn check.

On the river, I think the BB is stabbing at the pot. I think UTG has an ace and YHIG. A2, A3, A4 aren't likely UTG limping hands (maybe if they are suited). Maybe 22, 33, 44, but I think 22 or 44 is firing the turn hoping to get action from an ace. It's possible he's full, but I think a middle ace is much more likely here and you're leaving money on the table if you don't raise here. Too many hands that you can beat are calling you here.