Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 11:20 AM

Default AA Capped PF... six ways...

Just woke up and joined table so no real reads. Typical Party 1/2 in the morning. When six players called the pre-flop cap, I got lost and became passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (24 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (12 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Would a bet on the flop accomplish anything? I can't imagine any calling pre-flop and then folding for one bet in such a large pot.

The turn pairing didn't help, but a raise here would probably have been the right idea.

What a mess... Anyone else wanna have my rockets? I think I'm too young to play with them on my own [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: AA Capped PF... six ways...

It's not likely that anyone will fold but #1 your missing value bets with what may be the best hand and #2 your not giving anyone an opportunity to make a mistake (by folding), which is how we make money.

If you can't protect the pot with a pretty good holding, at least bloat the pot so you take down a huge one when it holds up.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Bet the flop for value. The pot is too big to protect against any reasonable draw, but there's some chance SB, the pre-flop 3-bettor, will check-raise you MAYBE making someone fold a weak gutshot (78, say) incorrectly.

I'd also raise the turn. SB could have JJ or AJ, but could also have TT, QQ, KK, or the other AA. Anyone else with a J probably would raise him here.

I can't imagine being on the river with my hand so underrepresented, but I guess since I am, I'd raise that too.

[ QUOTE ]
It's not likely that anyone will fold but #1 your missing value bets with what may be the best hand and #2 your not giving anyone an opportunity to make a mistake (by folding), which is how we make money.

If you can't protect the pot with a pretty good holding, at least bloat the pot so you take down a huge one when it holds up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put.

Unless you have a monster you're usually looking to protect, if you can't protect, bet for value.

agree with Krimson, you have to bet the flop.

ideally, SB would then check-raise you with his KK or QQ, and then you could 3-bet.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:45 AM

Oh, of course. Bet on the flop for value is the only option. I was just looking at the large pot, my aces, and the other five players in the hand and trying to find a way to protect my hand.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 AM

Checking the flop is the worst way to do this. Check the positioning of your pre-flop action. You on the button and SB on your direct left are the agressors. Checked to you on the flop, the SB is likely trying to c/r, so your best option for protection is to bet the flop and let him raise and face the field with 2.

Checking here and "waiting for a safe turn to raise" is a horrible option. Since you check the flop, the SB is forced to bet into the field, with what is likely an overpair, and you have no ability to protect your hand again, just to face the field with more bets.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM

Bet the flop. A raise from sb will help protect your hand.

Since you didn't bet the flop, raise the turn. Nobody has a J or they would have raised sb in this huge pot.

Since you didn't bet the flop or raise the turn, raise the river. You're ahead more than the 50% or so you need to make your river raise a +EV play.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, of course. Bet on the flop for value is the only option. I was just looking at the large pot, my aces, and the other five players in the hand and trying to find a way to protect my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey ninja,

you could check the flop if a late position player would be the likely turn bettor...in fact, this is discussed in HPFAP in the oft maligned loose games section. however, since it's SB who is probably going to bet the turn (given the PF action) you probably won't be able to protect your hand there.