Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: $33 - blind v blind 2nd hand

I like the way you played the turn-river. I especially like the river push... looks like a steal! I think you're lucky that you hit 2 pair on turn. I don't like the flop call so much b/c you don't know what you're up against!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t35</font>, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t70) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t70</font>, Hero calls t70.

Turn: (t210) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, SB calls t120.

River: (t450) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t650 (All-In)</font>,

villain has 510 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good to me. Again though, I'm in the non-raising crowd on the flop. Turn is good, but I might have made it just a little more to charge the flush draw a bit extra, unlikely though it is. I am split between making a small value bet of t120 or so on the river and a push. I would likely make it t120, but I like a push too. I'm worried we're not going to get value out of a T, 3 or &amp; this way, but as menioned above, it could be interpreted as a missed draw or a bluff as well.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again though, I'm in the non-raising crowd on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically lean toward not raising as much as alot of people on the flop. Pot control, inducing bluffs (so many people love to keep firing at you), etc.

I was trying to come up with some reasons why I like raising here. Here goes:

1) Especially early in SNGs, I like to take some pots, get a decent stack, get in and get out of hands. I don't really want to play around here and let him get free cards.

2) More important reason: I like to pop the SB in the mouth in spots like this, to send the message that he can't be raising and auto betting me the whole damn game. We've all seen that guy: He probably notices that we fold alot to PF raises, so he keeps this crap up the entire game.

I'm of the 'slap him on the nose with the newspaper and make him whimper into the corner' crowd when I get a chance against the SB.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t785)
CO (t735)
Button (t900)
SB (t735)
Hero (t875)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t35</font>, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t70) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t70</font>, Hero calls t70.

Turn: (t210) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, SB calls t120.

River: (t450) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

villain has 510 left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played. I'm betting exactly 350 on the river though. There's no reason to give him an excuse to fold his A4.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally make a value bet in the 150 range, which seems to get insta-called regularly. In lieu of this, I always wonder had I pushed (apparent steal attempt) would I get called just the same and I'm missing out on more chips.

I love when the turn hits me like that. Makes all your decisions much easier.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Default flop action

I know you cold called but on the flop I would have raised, probably a minraise to induce a bluff reraise right away. If he fell for it I would push (or call his push).

Questions:

Do you agree Hero is ahead often enough to play for his entire stack on the flop?

If yes, would it be the same in a 1000 chip game(55$)? (Personally, with 1000 chips, I would be more hesitant and probably play it like you did.)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally make a value bet in the 150 range, which seems to get insta-called regularly. In lieu of this, I always wonder had I pushed (apparent steal attempt) would I get called just the same and I'm missing out on more chips.

I love when the turn hits me like that. Makes all your decisions much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

See Lorinda's post. She has a nice post about pushing the river and getting called.

Lorinda's post
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like calling for information here. This looks like a WAWB spot, so getting to showdown as cheaply as possible looks good to me. If he makes another good sized bet on the turn, then you can re-evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know you get information when you call!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raised preflop. He will almost certainly bet any flop. Calling the flop is a good way to see if he really likes his hand and it's a cheap way. If he bets the turn again then we can re-evaluate. That's all I meant by calling for information.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:10 PM

I like the whole hand. Nice job.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like calling for information here. This looks like a WAWB spot, so getting to showdown as cheaply as possible looks good to me. If he makes another good sized bet on the turn, then you can re-evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not know you get information when you call!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raised preflop. He will almost certainly bet any flop. Calling the flop is a good way to see if he really likes his hand and it's a cheap way. If he bets the turn again then we can re-evaluate. That's all I meant by calling for information.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but what do you do about it? it can be a value bet from a4 just as easily as from AK at this point. i called not knowing what i was going to do if villain bet a brick (i know, i know - bad schwza), but i think it's going to be very easy for me to make a FTOP mistake by folding or not on the turn.