Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:54 PM

Default 3/6 6m quick little preflop thingy

I've been at this table for about 50 hands. I have a solid TAG image and haven't showed down a loser yet.

A 21.5/13.12/2.14 after 1745 hands limps UTG. Other than that he seems to be playing pretty tight, I have no specific read on this guy as all these hands are from datamining. Postflop I don't have a read yet because he hasn't been involved in any hands.

An LPP MP overlimps. I don't have stats, but I'd say 80/10/.5 describes him pretty nicely. Postflop this guy calls down anything. A high, bottom pair, underpairs, etc. He overcalled two bets on the river with A high very early in this session. I doubt he's even thinking on the first level.

Shockingly the 50/6/1 CO folds.

I am on the Button with KQo.

The SB is too loose for her own good from that position. She's already called raises from that position with A9o, KJo and 56s. Postflop she also will call down with any piece of the board.

The BB is 28.8/10.53/.95 also from datamining. But he seems to be playing looser than that today; I've seen him limp 9To UTG and A6o in MP. That .95 AF also seems to be a bit off as he's playing pretty aggressively postflop this session.

So again, we're on the Button with KQo. What's our move? I think with this lineup it's a close decision.

Thoughts? Don't just say "raise" because that's what you've garnered from the tight/aggressive/never-be-weak mantra. Thinking players should be elaborative.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6m quick little preflop thingy

Close between raising and limping. If both of the blinds are loose and bad, I probably limp; if both of the blinds are tight and good, I raise.

It's really important to consider the fact that you will be able to exploit your edge over the TAG more in the pot with the LPP that you have position on, as you will effectively be betting a hand that may very well be good against LPP (even K-high) into a protected pot against someone who calls down with anything. That puts much more pressure on a TAG to fold hands like 66 and 77 and A8s when they miss -- much more pressure than you probably imagine.

Raising for representation is something that can help a lot in this instance, but it depends on how the TAG responds to the presence of other players.

Rob
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM

The only player who gives me pause from insta-raising is the UTG TAG. What his range for the UTG limp?

small PP: 22-66
suited connectors: 45s-QJs
Axs: A2s-A8s
AA-(KK maybe) if he's trying for a LRR. The table is playing kind of passively aside from you so this possibility is remote. A raise would be best for this table if he had AA UTG because he'd get the tard in HJ to come along at least.

So you're ahead of nearly everything within his range. This and the possibility of folding out the BB makes this a clear raise for me.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM

Assuming that the datamined stats from from 6 max games, I think the "tag" here is one of those new to 6 max from full players. He's UTG limping with 66-22, QJs, JTs, maybe QTs, and like A7-2s maybe.

We're playing against what looks to be 2 bad players, and two average but not good players. I like playing strong hands in position vs. players that are not as good as I am.

Given your relative position on all of them, I like raising KQo in this spot. Obviously you need to be more careful post flop than you might against your regular 6 max donks. Still feels like your hand is strong and has a lot of value here. If the blinds fold, you're up against a player with a range that's likely pretty easy to define and somebody that their play will at least be predictable. This means that you should be able to avoid getting in a bad spot post flop.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM

FWIW- I don't think this flavor of tag is limping much short of T9s in this spot.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:07 PM

I raise. I only give moderate consideration to the bad players. It's the good player you need to consider.

The defining characteristic I use is the question, "Is my hand more likely to be dominated or dominate?" In this spot I'd say UTG has suited broadway or a small pair. This is a great spot to raise against him with KQ.

Krishan
Old 09-19-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW- I don't think this flavor of tag is limping much short of T9s in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not typically, but this is an especially passive table preflop. He might feel a little more comfy..it's a stretch though.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:31 PM

I would raise here without a second thought. It is highly unlikely that you're dominated. You have a large equity edge. Push it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 PM

21/13 players don't open limp much. Very suspicious. Limp. Raising wouldn't be bad, but if you choose that route then proceed cautiously.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 PM

You are putting waaaay too much thought into this. Raise. Aside from the TAG you are describing a bunch of morons that will call your raise with crappier hands. Seems like a bad time to limp.