Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2004, 04:05 PM

Default 2.50/5 NL Getting the most out of TPTK

2.50/5 Prima Table is 9-handed

I am on the button with ~665 and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Folded to the CO (500) who min. raises to 10. I decide to just call, SB folds, BB calls (600).

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets out for 20, CO folds, I raise to 60, BB folds.

This hand in itself isn't very interesting but I wonder if the flop line is best. In this situation where I'm nearly certain that I have the best hand is it better to flat call and let the player try to buy the pot on the turn (given that I have the A of hearts)?

I believe I have a somewhat straightforward image as I haven't gotten in a bluff yet.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: 2.50/5 NL Getting the most out of TPTK

I think this is played fine; AQ worries me a little sometimes because sometimes it makes a second best hand that is expensive. I would take the mentality like AA/KK "win a small pot or lose a big one." About 9 BB in the pot not counting your $60 raise if I added correctly.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:54 PM

Grifter

I am glad to see another player who is divided on which is the best line in this situation, it seems that I do both, but I am not sure whether I should have one default method. interested to see some replys.

fsuplayer
Old 07-25-2004, 07:15 PM

Given the backdoor nut draws and TPTK, I would call and raise the turn about 75% of the time.

The other 25% I would play it the same.

Nice hand.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:37 PM

I think I slightly prefer a flat call here. if he's betting into me, he either likes his hand or is stabbing at the pot. most of the time he's going to be betting a Q, in which case I certainly don't want him to fold. however I think usually they're just stabbing at the pot here. I've played a million pots where it goes bet, I call, and then they check fold the turn.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 PM

Yes, and I have also called in spots like this and then seen my opponent check and fold to a turn bet. Generally that will be my line when there are no draws out.

I'm wondering basically how to get the most profit when my opponent has a weak queen. I think by betting 60 on this flop it allows a competent player to fold a weaker queen. However, if I just call then some opponents who may have been drawing live have a prime opportunity to make a better hand.

Also, many, many players are not able to get away from a hand like KQ or even QJ in this spot and if either of the draws are completed on the turn it complicates things.

I can see reasons for calling and for raising in this situation, I'm just not sure which is best.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:40 AM

Mixing up your play here is very important so neither play is necessarily correct. One factor that is important to consider here is your play style. If you are frequently raising or betting marginal hands than you should generally raise here. On the other hand, if you play like I do, where I typically slow play, calling here works for me. When a pot is small my bets get alot of respect because I hardly ever bluff at a small pot. Players who have played with me before know that I will bluff at a large pot after I have called a bet on the flop and therefore will pay me off in this scenario if they hold a hand like jacks.

Obviously I am not an online player as I play irl, so things differ greatly because you are not likely to have played with these people before. However, I think that mathematically the best way to play this hand is to call the flop, and either raise or call the turn.. which is another discussion in itself.