Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:25 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.
Default Re: board games

has anyone played scrutineyes ? that thread recently on '75 bands in this photo' or whatever reminded me of that game. i haven't played it in a long time but i remember it being pretty cool.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but won't the 'SIIHP' card always win even though it's obviously suppose to be the 'funny' one even though it probably isn't really that funny ?

i guess i'll have to try it just to see what the fuss is about.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's all about picking an answer that will appeal to the judge. So you aren't necessarily trying to pick the SIIHP or the funniest answer, but whatever is going to tickle the judge's fancy. One of my old roommates used to like answers that were just way off base but most people do like the funniest answer.

I promise, if you play it with your family, after the first game is over, several people will be clamoring to play again.

And the guy that invented it is a really down to earth guy so it's going to a good cause. His other games suck though.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:51 PM

Taboo, Balderdash, Boggle, Uno, Spades
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 AM

Checkers but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

Monopoly but it takes too long and my g/f always beats me.

Trivial Persuit but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

Rummikub but my g/f won't play me cause I am too good.

So basically the only game I can get my g/f to play with me is Monopoly, cause she beats me every time (she cheats by whoring the free parking money all the time, I only land on that [censored] when it's empty).

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My family loves Cranium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played Cranium once while enebriated and in a social setting with a group of friends and acquaintances. It would have been nice to know I was going to have to hum before I volunteered for the performing arts task.

I made quite an ass of myself trying to hum 'Margaritaville', and for some reason all my sculptures out of molding clay always seem to resemble large, skinny purple erect penises. That doesn't mean I am gay does it?

I hated that game. My team did win though, no thanks to me of course.

PG
Old 11-29-2005, 12:45 PM

Chess - competitive against good chessplaying friends, but I'll play anyone.

Parcheesi, Yahtzee, Monopoly (NO money in the middle), checkers, Clue, Pictionary, used to play Rummikub with my mom....and Cranium is great for small parties.

ScottieK
Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Axis and Allies. Spent much of my youth building up my infrantry at Kareila. It still is my favorite game of all time, including poker/video games/sports.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 PM

i love rummikub

and parcheesi is the bomb

for card games, it's all about spades

cranium is good fun as well
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

today i was trying to think of something to play at christmas with my family (something fun but not too dumb). things like risk take too long but we all like that one. my mom has always liked trivial pursuit so maybe i'll buy an updated version of that so i might actually know some of the answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Settlers of Catan is a good choice for sort of a laid back game, my brother, his wife and I can finish a game in 15 minutes now. Usually doesn't take more than 45 minutes, or an hour if you have people that always take forever to play.

I wouldn't want to play Carcassone (the math can get annoying) or (especially) Puerto Rico with very casual gamers.

Streetcar is a great game, everyone always likes it no matter what sort of person they are.

Other good choices are Acquire and Formula De.

[ QUOTE ]

my bf was telling me i should get apples to apples because he's heard it's suppose to be a good game , but i looked at the back of the box in the store and it looked stupid ? you just lay down a card like "shocking" and everyone plays a card like "my first kiss" or "lightning" or whatever and vote on what is the funniest ? is that really fun , am i missing something ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like it, but I would say it's more "funny" than "fun". I know a lot of people that don't like it. Don't play it totally sober, buzzed is the ideal state.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 PM

Nobody mentioned Junta. If you never want to speak to your friends again, play this one with them for real money.