Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM

Default A Question for Christians

Through a medical marvel brain transplants have become possible. During the process the brain retains 100% of it's capacity and loses no memory or intelligence whatsoever. So with the exception of having to re-condition itself to its new body, the brain funtions exactly as it did before the transplant.

Suppose we take George's brain and put it in Harry's body; and Harry's brain and put it in George's body.

Questions:

1. Which one is now Harry and which one is George?

2. In which body does George's soul reside?

3. If the body that had Harry's brain before the transplant now commits a mortal sin, who's going to hell? Harry or George? (please specify which one is which).
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

Ne feceris ut rideam.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 PM

Can you link me to a Latin dictionary please? (or translate)
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you link me to a Latin dictionary please? (or translate)

[/ QUOTE ]

"Don't make me laugh."

edit: http://miljokes.com/lqote.html
Old 12-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Pretty sneaky to insult someone in another language [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But as I said in an above post, I think the questions are legit. I'm trying to find out where the soul is.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sneaky to insult someone in another language [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But as I said in an above post, I think the questions are legit. I'm trying to find out where the soul is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to find a physical location for something that doesn't exist in the physical world isn't the best way to spend one's time.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Just in Case...

...You're being sarcastic, I think they are legitimate questions. In order for Christianity to be true there must be a soul, right? I'm trying to find out where the soul exists.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Just in Case...

A related question to Christians is what, exactly, is the mental manifestation of my "soul" in the afterlife? For example, if I die completely senile from Alzheimer's at 90 years old and go to heaven, will I (or my "soul") also be senile in the afterlife? If not, at which "point" from my mortal life will my cognitive function be restored? As I was at age 21? Age 40? From my perspective, that has changed significantly over my lifetime so far.

How about those who die as newborn babies, or even before? In what sense do such souls experience an afterlife?

I suspect the answer from Christians is that our souls are cognizant in the afterlife in a way we cannot understand as living beings. However, that means the Christian (and others) beliefs once again collapse into a muck of unintelligibility upon close examination.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In what sense do such souls experience an afterlife?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you read the Bible if you really care for the answer to that question, rather than having it spoonfed to you over an internet forum.

Though, as any intelligent person can surmise, answers to such questions clearly do not exist outside of one man's interpretation of the Bible (which clearly does not automatically equal another man's interpretation)
Old 12-08-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you read the Bible if you really care for the answer to that question, rather than having it spoonfed to you over an internet forum.
Though, as any intelligent person can surmise, answers to such questions clearly do not exist outside of one man's interpretation of the Bible (which clearly does not automatically equal another man's interpretation)

[/ QUOTE ]
It's 2-way comments like these that baffle me. I ask my neighbour george, "What's your opinion of X". He says, "Go read the bible. Mind you, It won't give you my opinion. and everybody may well have a different opinion"
I take it that bible will therefore give me my opinion ( which is one of my basic claims about religion - we bring our morals and prejudices to it, and either find one that supports them, or interpret one in a way that does.)