Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Cars... M3-- Oporutnity Cost...

[ QUOTE ]
any automatic porsche...

[/ QUOTE ]

any auto porsche (boxster is not a porche) it much more xpensive than an m3 or even an m5.

btw... right now i drive a paid off 2001 Nissan sentra se ( they hadn't released the se-r til the next year). So any car over $15k is gona be an upgrade. However, right now i'm gona milk this car for all its worth. Travel a bit after i graduate. Then go back to school and work at p*ker, so i won't be needing a new car for a while.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:45 AM

as a young person i look at it this way:

BMWs are freaking sweet. they are fun to drive and look awesome. i could buy one with my own money and be the king of college, booya everyone!

flip side:

you pay 55K for an asset that will immediately lose a ton of its value. it will be very expensive to keep up given insurance, repairs, and parking (i live in nyc and most likely am going to be at school in philly). the car will cost me much much more than 55K, especially considering the alternative is investing the money and ending up with more than 55k rather than much less.

So yeah, a car like a BMW is very expensive. You could get an equivalent functionwise for 1/3 as much. That's a lot for the engine and flash. I think the dynamics of me having poker from an income definitely affect my thoughts on this, I have never had a "real" job other than typical temporary teenage stuff. Don't misconstrue this and think I'm saying no one should buy a nice car, what I wrote is just my perspective on it. I'm sure having a high performance car rocks, but it is very expensive.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 AM

Just get the car, you won't regret it if you love cars
Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i drive a stick and enjoy it, but i think you might be underestimating how far along automatics are. look at audi's dsg system for example. faster 0-60 times and better gas mileage to boot, 2 traditional holding points of manuals. advanced paddle systems are really doing great now. sticks are still fun to drive just for the 'hands on' factor as well as being able to drive up the torque by hanging out in the lower gears. to mention the dsg again, they have 'auto' and 'sport' modes where the sport mode more or less gears how a typical stick driver does.

[/ QUOTE ]

DSG and SMG are a special class of tranmissions. You could argue they are manuals witha computer operated clutch and not automatics (is a manual a user operated clutch or the lack of a torque convertor. Edmunds has numberous discusions about this). In my mind DSG is clearly the best tranmission out there is all you care about is performance and not abut the "joy of shifting".

Porsches come with triptronics. No comparision to a manual if you are looking for control during spirited driving. And if you are just cruising the highway, there are better cars than than the porsche.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
any automatic porsche...

[/ QUOTE ]

any auto porsche (boxster is not a porche) it much more xpensive than an m3 or even an m5.
/quote]

How does that change the fact that if you buy a performance car with a slushbox you are a poseur? Exceptions will be made for people who can't operate a clutch for physical reasons.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:11 AM

that settles it, peachy has a small penis
Old 11-14-2005, 02:19 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

but she does in fact have an M3
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

cool. i shouldn't have assumed you were making a blanket anti-auto statement with the porsche comment.

i drove a dsg a3 pretty recently and i was shocked at how good it was. prior to that i hadn't seriously considered anything other than a manual.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:34 AM

Americans should be allowed to complain about the cost of their cars, considering alot of other countries have to pay much more.

"What kind of people buy expensive cars-- and do they THINK about better ways to spend their money?"

If you have the money then why not? Anyway, cars mean different things to different people. Might just be for posing value for one person, and for another it might just be because they're into cars. Just because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean others feel the same way. It might not be a poor investment for them if they feel they get enough out of it.

"I'l be making 6 figures plus coming out of college, but spending $12,000/year on a car is quite preposterous."

Maybe for you. What else would you spend that money on? Maybe other people don't want to spend like you do? Maybe they don't want to invest as much as you do?

"What kind of people out there prefer spending that kind of money on cars instead of the peace of mind of living in a paid off home which APPRECIATES!?!?!?"

People who get more out of the experience than you, and posers.

Why don't you just ask why some people spend every spare dollar they have on doing up their car, or any other hobby they have? Alot of people have expensive hobbies. You might see them as poor investments, but it's not really if they really get something out of it.

"I guess my next car is gona be a Subaru WRX"

Wow what a poor investment. I could buy a bike and get MUCH better performance out of it for 1/4 the cost [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 02:37 AM

Why has no one called BS on him making 100k+ coming out of college yet?