Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Comparing nicknames

I have some nicks, some of them are similar to my 2+2's nick like PeterRus, Peter_rus etc, and some of them aren't associated with it. I was interested to collect close to decent sample size to find how they both running. So here are the results for 15/30 and 30/60 party full games:

PeterRus and similar: 138K hands 2.19bb/100
Other nicks: 83K hands 2.57bb/100

It's obvious that 0.4bb/100 difference is too low to say exactly if i'm running better with unknown nicks than with well-known to 2+2 people with this quantity of hands. Though it still exists and it makes probability im doing better with unknown nicks more in compare to well-known. With such consistent small difference i need at least 800-1000K hands in my bag to say exactly where am i as 'PeterRus'.

It's also funny that in 30/60 games 'PeterRus' is very big winner in compare to not peter-like nicks which are very big losers. Though sample is tiny - around 15K and i actually don't like 30/60 party games as my ev in terms of $$/hour there was very small in compare to 15/30 - it's still makes some sense i guess...

I decided if during next 100 or 200K hands difference will be higher i'll quit my known nicks and change them to unknown. If difference will be the same or reduced i won't do it as well as i will never ever think about my internet nicks at all.

Not much info here in this post, just some for thought.

If anyone has stats for different (well-known and unknown)nicks i wonder what they looks like.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Comparing nicknames

I played under sthiefO9 on party for a while in 2004 (stupid and irrelevant story/reason). I don't have that DB any more because my hard drive died and I don't play the same game I used to, but I definitely think it hurt my EV to have people know who I was (even if they thought I was someone else, I think they would react to that info pretty similarly).
Old 05-07-2005, 09:19 AM

well, the variation i've seen in 100k hand samples can be just over 1bb/100, so i think that explains the bulk of it.

I think people knowing you helps in some ways and hurts in others.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you don't know them, how does it help?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming you don't know them, how does it help?

[/ QUOTE ]

if they dont know you and have no stats on you, they will treat you like a party unknown until proven otherwise. that entitles you to light call downs with marginal hands and preflop less respect w/ your early raises.

clearly once you are tracked in terms of stats it doesn't matter anymore b/c you get the same respect
-Barron
Old 05-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Right, I know all that. So in what regard would being known help?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:50 AM

your tables on average would be slightly softer if you are regarded as a solid winner.

even if you dont know them and they know you.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:06 PM

You are a smart man, Mr. stoxtrader.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:17 PM

i used to play a lot under chris_daddy and did very well until i became "well known" where it seemed like everybody was taking shots at me and i hit a huge downswing. i'm sure it was all variance but it was a little unsettling. sometimes it doesn't even have have any real material effect on your results, but often if you think there's something going on because of it then a change of screen names might be good, just for your mind's sake.

same thing happened when i was playing under "bisonbison" everybody kept on asking me about the damn converter even though it should have been fairly obvious that i wasn't the real bison, but it always made me wonder if they ever changed how the played against me since they "knew" who i was.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:59 PM

I've had around 10 user names on Party/Empire/Intertops and my win rates varied by more than .4 bb/100.

My sample size is fairly small, but it seems that dumb and wreckless are good qualities to appear to have.