Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: American History X

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's so great about Shawshank Redemption?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a very entertaining and pleasant movie for people of all age groups and classes to watch, and it is very rewatchable. also one of the most overrated movies of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the point of my post...
Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i didn't miss the point, i just used the opportunity to mention shawshank while we're discussing overrated movies. ahx, requiem, and shawshank are the best 3 i can think of.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
norton commits one of the single most violent acts ever portrayed on film, then goes to jail and plays basketball with black guys and sees the light.

100% powerful realistic film making.

[/ QUOTE ]

granted, the movie was a bit hamfisted in the way it set up its revelations for the ed norton character to jump through.

but your synopsis is just as sweeping and overwrought.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't miss the point, i just used the opportunity to mention shawshank while we're discussing overrated movies. ahx, requiem, and shawshank are the best 3 i can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha.

I don't consider AHX or Shawshank overrated - they are both phenominal movies IMHO. Requiem I did not care for, but a good amount of people I've discussed it with didn't like it either, so I never really considered it rated that high to begin with...
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the guy who dragged the black guy behind his car?

maybe he can join an interraccial prison badmitten team and see the error of his ways.

hahahahahahahaahhaha

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ed Norton as racist going to prison and realizing he was being manipulated by less than true believers is a fine premise, makes a good movie.

Ed Norton dunking a basketball during the movie is just plain unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

a fine premise?

ROTFL

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you just quote yourself and then respond to it...?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:33 PM

Astro,
Have you ever seen a movie have a more jarring effect on its audience than Requiem? I've seen it quite a few times with quite a few different types of people (and it does try VERY hard, I know), and after it ends everyone looks very rattled for a few minutes.

I'm more interested on your RFD thoughts than AHX.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i saw both rfd and ahx in a theater, but it's an art house type place. i didn't really pay a lot of attention to the others' reactions, just those with whom i went and subsequent discussions among friends. i've watched it once, seen it maybe a couple more times. nobody really seemed surprised by it. some of them liked it and some didn't. none of them loved it, most were largely unaffected by it and found it off-putting that it tried so very hard to affect them.

"was that difficult to watch? how about NOW? HAHA! no? HOW ABOUT NOW?! still no? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]" *yawn*

the effect is actually reminiscent of what i disliked about hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. it took about 10 minutes to get immersed into its 'wacky world'. after that, no matter what they did it couldn't get a response from me. i think subject matter and depiction like requiem is going to break out of that pattern for a lot of people just because they find it honestly repulsive. for me it was like, "ok i'm in the addiction world now" after a little bit into the movie and everything wasn't jarring or made me want to avert my gaze. if you feel the way i felt about hitchhiker's, you can adapt that feeling to understand how jaded pricks like me can be unfazed by rfd.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:47 PM

its an average movie IMO. maybe because i was used to that type of violence and hate. so in other words, its shock value made it seem "really good" to most people.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AHX is significantly less good than The Believer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rented the Believer las summer cause it had a funny cover with a dude doing the ole' Heil Hitler pose over the background of a Star of David. Turned out to be a pretty awesome film about a Jewish neo-nazi.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Interesting, thanks for the reponse.

Random observation: After reading some work by the original novelist (Hubert Selby Jr) I think stylistically the movie follows the book as close as possible. ( Brief online excerpt from novel)

Obviously it doesn't seem like your thing, but it does surprise me because of how many things I think the movie does well, and you seem to have good taste. Oh well.