Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Are 2+2 NL Players weak-tight?

I am not sure if I am qualified to make this post, being that I have done little to comment in this forum, or any forum as of late, however, it is in my opinion that the majority of the players posting here are Weak-Tight.
There are a couple of main reasons why I believe this to be so.
1. There is a lack of bluffing on here. Tight Aggressive does not mean you cant run pure bluffs. You must learn to play the player, and not the cards. If you read your opponent for a pair of jacks, and your read is he'll fold for a pot-sized reraise, make it, it doesnt matter if you are holding 22.
I have over 100,000 hands at the Party NL tables, and I must say that of the players with the best hourly/rates, they are all seeing more than 20% of the pots, and are not so-called rocks.

2. There is way too much folding when being played back at. I will not fold AK on a king high or ace high flop at Party EVER, from now until I die. It is that simple, especially not to an unknown player. Half the players on party will pushin on top pair, a flush draw or any other semi decent hand, if you are betting half the pot and then folding when raised all-in you are never gonna get furthor than 5BB/Hr.

3. Way too much multi-tabling, which is probally what is preventing you from taking the next step. The lack of hand reading skills. Reading the board is crucial in No-Limit Holdem, and if you are jumping around 3 screens at a time how do you expect to improve?

Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Are 2+2 NL Players weak-tight?

Im not sure Weak-Tight is correct. I do know that, especially on Party, when I just play good cards I win a lot of money in the 50 or 100 NL side game tables or single table tourneys. Of course the basic 3-4x raise and bet of the flop with anything works a lot in tourneys, but the side games still have a lot of callers. Bluffs are not as successfull, but still necessary in the side games. I have never tried it, but I would guess that if you only played good starters, and never bluffed, you could probably win in the Party NL side games. Because of that, I do think many people on here have possibly tightened up a little....its just so easy to win money on there w/o having to really gamble it up too much.

I would agree that it probably is giving a lot of people some bad habits and false sense of how good they really are (including me), but its all relative.

spoody
Old 02-13-2004, 10:08 AM

Why don't you try the 2+2 SNG on tuesday and wednesday. I think you'll find that there are quite a few who are far from weak-tight. A couple are even wild.

I certainly play at least 25% of hands in ring no limit games. I also virtually never lay down TPTK. This is only because the stacks are so shallow compared to the blinds tho.

So don't think you're really on to something here. A few maybe, but certainly nothing even close to most of 2+2ers are weak tight.

al
Old 02-13-2004, 10:12 AM

It does seem there are a lot of very tight players here, but on Party that aint so bad as those schmucks never lay anything down.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you try the 2+2 SNG on tuesday and wednesday. I think you'll find that there are quite a few who are far from weak-tight. A couple are even wild.

I certainly play at least 25% of hands in ring no limit games. I also virtually never lay down TPTK. This is only because the stacks are so shallow compared to the blinds tho.

So don't think you're really on to something here. A few maybe, but certainly nothing even close to most of 2+2ers are weak tight.

al

[/ QUOTE ]
Im going mainly by my PT results, and I can say that there is a big difference between myself and the other players at the top of the bracket in winnings, in comparison to the players who are just "tight".

Alot of players on here, seem to play super tight, which "will" turn a profit, but it doesnt mean they are good NL players.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: hmm...

Maybe its also just a coincidence of the hands players choose to post, but I cant remember the last post titled, "Was this a good bluff?" -- I dont know, bluffing seems to be very unpopular here, perhaps Im just better at making reads than the majority.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:15 AM

I think there are certainly a few players on here who play too tight, but it is far from the majority. Of course, in a low stake online NL game bluffing is rarely correct, for a couple of reasons:

1. The absence of tells. Your read is based only on your opponents betting pattern and previous hands and sometimes (varies from person to person) speed of decision making.

2. The average low stake NL player is waaaay over-aggressive. At a full ring game it is not uncommon to see 50%+ seeing the flop, (Although I look for tables with 60-70 and usually find them)

3. There are also way too many calling stations to make frequent bluffing profitable. Most of the time, at low limits, you WILL have to show a hand.

I think for low limit online games you should leave super system on the bookshelf and instead capitalize on your opponents mistakes. They are so oblivious to what you do that it is very rare that you pick up a monster and do not get paid off.

Now, if you go to the bigger games I completely agree that sitting around and waiting for a huge hand will get you nowhere. But how many people out there are playing 10/20 NL as compared to .50/1 or 1/2?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:55 AM

I don't know where you get the idea that the posters here are tight. I don't think you're paying attention to the posts. The posters are, if anything, too loose, especially out of position.

Most of the low-limit games, which are what 90% of the posters are posting, are frequented by players who chase too much and play too many hands. So the way to win is to play better and fewer hands than they do, and make them pay to beat you, just like you remarked about how you play AK. If they play in a way that you feel you will *never* lay down AK if a K or A flops, then why do you think bluffing against them would be a profitable strategy? These two ideas don't go together.

There are some who post hands where they are questioning if folds were proper, but these are usually newbies getting used to the game, or games with deeper stacks.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: hmm...

By no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself a great player, nor am I one of the more knowlegable posters here. However, I will say this about bluffing (especially on Party) - it is hard to bluff when there are 4 or 5 other players seeing every flop, and they are all going to the river trying to hit their 2 outer.

Bluffing is a tool that can be very profitable in the right spot, but you can't push every player on every table around with bluffs. Therefore, it is not part of my "normal" playing style. I want other players to respect my big bets/raises, so that the 1 or 2 times I am "trying to earn" a pot, they will be more inclined to fold.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:14 PM

Personally I play somewhere around 35 to 40% of hands at NL, but I do lay down alot of hands to big raises. I dont know if i qualify as a "2+2er" as I have a much different approach than most on here. I think that you are correct that many of the posters here are weak tight, but I also think that if you do play weak tight on party poker you will be a winner.