Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Brewers trade Overbay

Link

Brewers trade Lyle Overbay to Blue Jays for Dave Bush, Gabe Gross and Zach Johnson.

Dave Bush is a good pickup given the ridiculously high price on free agent pitchers so far. I don't know where Gross fits in except to replace Chris Magruder and pinch hit. And of course adding a pitching prospect is never bad.

Also the Brewers traded Wes Obermueller for Danny Kolb. Don't know if it really matters since Obermueller was pretty bad last year and there doesn't seem to be any room for him in Milwaukee anyway.

All in all, given the way the free agent market is going I think the Brewers really helped themselves here.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Brewers trade Overbay

well i really woulda hoped that the brewers would've gotten a little more solid of a player in there somewhere. With that said Bush will be good just to add depth to their middle relief, and its within the realm of possibilities that Johnson could contribute in this same role at some point this season. So while I hoped to get slightly more for Overbay, all in all this does help solidify the Brewers major weakness, so it is a step in the right direction.

Now lets see if theres any possibility of the Brewers stepping up and signing a free agent pitcher, or possibly trading someone like Clark or Jenkins. I'd really like to see Krynzel get in that OF rotation this year as he would make a great leadoff hitter with his speed on the basepath and his defense in center field would be a nice addition as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM

Problem with getting more for Overbay was that Boston wanted to dump Clement and something like his $15M contract on us...which we can't afford. I like the idea of moving Clark/Jenkins but I'd also like to see Cory Hart play. Who's in the market for an OF that would give us a solid SP? LAD?

Oh, also, let's just sign Jarrod Washburn already.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I'd also like to see Cory Hart play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Corey Hart is being talked about as splitting some time with Fielder at 1st base, as he played 1st in the Arizona Fall League and did quite well there, which is what pushed the Brewers over into the comfort zone of trading Overbay. As far as outfielders, Krynzel is likely the best defensive outfielder in the Brewers organization right now, and also should be able to develop into a very nice leadoff so I'd rather see him get in than Hart by far.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 AM

Bush might turn into a pretty good starter under the guidance of Mike Maddux. He looked pretty terrible for the most part last season, but I do believe the potential is there. I would give Bush a better chance of being a quality Major League pitcher than most unproven guys.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 AM

Good trade for both teams. Blue Jays needed a legit 1B, and Overbay is an improvement over Hillenbrand. Bush will be solid; Mike Maddux is a very good pitching coach. Biggest thing with Bush was how Toronto kept screwing around with him. Leave him alone and he'll win 12 games at the back of your rotation.