Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Would you want to know? A sad, no fun thread.

Alright, this is OOT, so maybe I'm being a little out of line with this, but please no smart-ass joking around with this one. I don't want to see it. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, just no dicking around. Maybe that'll make this thread boring and it'll just fall off the first page.

I have a second cousin who just died last Saturday. At first, they thought it was an infection from a dry socket after having his wisdom teeth removed a week or so before. His family just found out yesterday that he actually died of some rare form of Leukemia and that's what actually caused the infection. Apparently, the symptoms are an aching jaw and bad headaches, which prompted the doctor to think he needed his wisdom teeth removed when he complained that he was tired and had toothaches and headaches. Anyway, I guess he didn't have very long to live, regardless.

This brings me to the point. It's old and probably been talked about before, but I made the comment to my mom just now that maybe it's better that he/they didn't know about it. That way, you just live your life and aren't all caught up in dying. The flip side of this is that there are some things that I'd want to take care of and make sure I spend time with my loved ones. He was a young guy and was engaged to be married soon, besides everything else.

Would you want to know if you had X amount of time left to live? Two weeks? Six months? A couple years? I'm not sure if I'd want to know or not. I'd be tempted to say I'd just want to spend time with my wife and close family, but I also wouldn't want to burden them with that and just make for a year or whatever lost to sadness for everybody. Some might say they'd travel the world or go skydiving or whatever crap it is they've always wanted to do, but I don't know that I care to do all that kind of stuff.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Would you want to know? A sad, no fun thread.

Sorry about your loss.

I think I'd want to just live my life not knowing when I am going to die.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 PM

Sorry to hear that, man.

As for the question, I would want to know.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:40 PM

I'd absolutely want to know, since I wouldn't want to spend my last 2-6 months at my shitty job.

And I have little experience thinking about this recently.

-d
Old 07-28-2005, 05:41 PM

Sorry to hear that man.....

I think I would want to know, just because I wouldn't do the same things in the 2 weeks or whatever I'd have left. I may not tell people till the last moment or whatever though....
Old 07-28-2005, 05:41 PM

It could go one of two ways. Some people might just be miserable knowing they are going to die. Some people might come to grips with their own mortality and do everything they always wanted to do.

Personally, I think most would be happier not knowing.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:43 PM

Not only would I would want to know, I think I have a responsibility to know, so at least I could try to catch the disease early and extend my life as much as possible, for the benefit of my wife and kids.

My good friend's husband (38) died suddenly of a heart attack the other night. He had not gone to the doctor for 8 years. The autopsy revealed that his heart was twice the size of a normal heart.

Would a check-up have found this out? They don't know. But he had a wife (my friend) and 2 small kids. In retrospect, I think he owed it to them (particularly his kids) to do whatever he reasonably could to keep himself in decent health.

Being in a similar position, the idea of burying my head in the sand and not knowing about anything until it strikes me dead is, in my opinion (since you asked), irresponsible.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you want to know if you had X amount of time left to live?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough question, but I think I'd rather know.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM

I would want to know. I would want to make sure I spend time with the people I love and live what I have left of my life to the fullest.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM

Well if I knew I only had a short time, I'd sure stop putting anything in my 401k and spend more money on dumb things. If it was down to a few weeks, I'd hate to be at work instead of with the people I love.