Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Default [$33] Postflop: AQs flops NFD+2 overs

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

Button (t730)
Hero (t1755)
BB (t630)
UTG (t125)
MP1 (t1840)
MP2 (t2395)
CO (t525)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t60</font>, MP2 calls t60, CO calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t270) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO is all-in [465], Hero folds.

No great reads on CO, he was involved in an earlier pot and folded to a turn checkraise.

Couple of questions:

A Anyone bump this preflop out of the blinds? My standard move against limpers or a minraise is not to raise since I don't want to fold out weak aces, plus you'll be dealing with a bloated pot OOP with 2-3 players. On the flip side, if this pot were bigger pushing the flop becomes an option.

B Now on to the flop - here's where I'm really confused since you have a mix of deep stacks and short stacks involved. Plan was to c/r all-in, which was thwarted when the minraiser checks, and the shortstacked CO shoves his chips in. Bleah, now my monster draw loses all FE. I decided not to flip against KJ or whatever he had here even if I'm a 53/47 favorite (I assume that's standard since this isn't a cash game).

Is there a better line here? Since I didn't raise PF, leading out 1/2-2/3 pot here probably won't get much respect and leaves me in a difficult spot OOP on the turn if one of the deep stacks called. On the other hand I would have manufactured the odds necessary to call a CO push, although I don't know that before the fact.

Any help appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: [$33] Postflop: AQs flops NFD+2 overs

Heads up this is a clear call...I would have pushed over the top. Calling isn't horrible if you think someone else might call and just check through since you will most likely have the nuts if you win.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:22 PM

You're getting 1.5-1 from the pot with a draw to the nuts and most likely at least twelve clean outs and possibly fifteen, not to mention a potential runner-runner redraw. With twelve outs you're 1.2-1 to win and with fifteen you're .85-1.

Not to mention that the CO could be playing position here and be bluffing with a draw or with nothing. Thats a valuable pot for him to pickup.

I push this almost every time at the $33 looking to isolate against the small stack.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:35 PM

i'd push here. if you knew you were playing heads up against the shorty in a sng, it'd be a disaster to fold. it's a small piece of your stack and the pot odds are great. it hurts some that there are others left to act, but they can't hurt you too bad (in terms of equity). it sucks if there's a set lurking behind you, but you still are 25% to win and playing 3-way at least.

yes, you prefer to avoid gambles, but you're taking it too far. there's a lot of money in the pot. also, there's some chance you're a big favorite against a hand like Ks Ts, 57, total bluff, etc.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Here's your answer:
Is there a better line here? Since I didn't raise PF, leading out 1/2-2/3 pot here probably won't get much respect and leaves me in a difficult spot OOP on the turn if one of the deep stacks called. On the other hand I would have manufactured the odds necessary to call a CO push, although I don't know that before the fact.

I thinkl it would show good control of the pot size. If you get called in two places then you'd given yourself implied odds as well. Plus I think it shows the opposite of weakness, I think it says I've got top pair and good kicker and you're going to have to pay for your draw.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:57 PM

A. PF is fine...you can bump it, but it would have to be a lot to make it worth it...

B. I would bet out, but I think CR is fine too...I am calling this too bc its better than a flip a majority of the time...I think he is doing this with air a lot and you might ahead here.