Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Do the odds change in 6-max? How?

okay, i've been watching some 6-handed play, looking at the preflop chart, and reading HUSH for a little bit now. sounds like a fun game, but my question is noobish:

do the odds change? i can't use the same odds chart as in SSH can I? that is based on a full table, the chance of more people playing, and the increased possibility that TP won't hold up.

...or is this wrong? most of the pots will probably be too small for even flush draws right?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Do the odds change in 6-max? How?

[ QUOTE ]
okay, i've been watching some 6-handed play, looking at the preflop chart, and reading HUSH for a little bit now. sounds like a fun game, but my question is noobish:

do the odds change? i can't use the same odds chart as in SSH can I? that is based on a full table, the chance of more people playing, and the increased possibility that TP won't hold up.

...or is this wrong? most of the pots will probably be too small for even flush draws right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I understand your question. Pot odds calculations don't change from full ring to 6-max to heads-up...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM

You realize that odds are based on math right? Not just that little chart you look at to know when to call or fold?

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-29-2005, 11:40 AM

okay maybe i asked it wrong. umm...due to the pots being smaller, it is less likely for you to have the break-even odds you need to play a lot of hands profitably as you would in a full ring game.

i was wondering if, due to the smaller pots and less people contributing to the pot, if that changed your calculations in whether to continue in a hand or not?

does that make sense?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Of course it does. If the pot odds aren't there to draw to my gutshot, I don't continue. Are you talking about preflop?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it does. If the pot odds aren't there to draw to my gutshot, I don't continue. Are you talking about preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm talking about both. i didn't think it would change, but i wanted to just ask the question because i wasn't sure.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 PM

The poker side of the game is exactly the same. It's still 10:1-ish to draw to a gutshot, and 3rd pair isn't the nuts. The biggest difference is that when you're in a HU pot and you're hand reading suggests that villain has a range of hands that includes a lot worse than yours and some that are better, it's a lot more likely that you're ahead than when you're against 3 similar villains with 3 similar ranges of hands. However, if you have a 6 way 6 max pot, it plays very similarly to a 6 way full ring pot, and a HU full ring pot plays very similarly to a HU 6 max pot. The main difference is the different playing styles of the opponents. You'll encounter many situations in 6 max that are just like full ring, and vice versa. The difference is the frequency with which those situations come up.

Keep track of who's who, play the best poker you know how to play, learn to play still better poker, and then kick more ass.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM

They're the same! The odds are the same! Soylent Green is people!

All that changes is who you're playing with.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're the same! The odds are the same! Soylent Green is people!

All that changes is who you're playing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx for the link Wookie. i had forgotten you had posted that and the 6 Baby steps. i think i'll find my answer in those posts.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Pot odds calculations all stay the same. If the pot is too small to draw at your flush, then it's too small. If you're asking if that's more likely in 6 max, I'd have to say no since people play looser there.

The calculations themselves don't change at all. A 3 out draw is a 3 out draw is a 3 out draw. Either you continue or you don't. This means some drawing situations become unprofitable most of the time, but OESDs and flush draws are not part of this mixture. You almost always have the immediate odds to see the river with these, and implied odds certainly push it over the edge when you don't.