Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Raymer and BIG STACK poker...

So we all saw Greg put on a CLINIC last year in the main event when it comes to playing with a big stack. The final table was filled with little known pros and amateurs (besides Harrington) and Greg was able to shine as he worked his way to the finish line.

Will <font color="red">(edit: WOULD)</font> he be able to play the same game against the "big names" who are preceived to be world class players that are left in the field <font color="red">were it</font> to come down to more of a star-studded final table?? Ivey? Lederer? Juanda? Matusow? JC Tran?

Discuss.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Raymer and BIG STACK poker...

You of course assume that anyone named, including Greg, will make the final stages. Lotta way to go till the finish line.

Phill
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM

At the final table last year the other players repeatedly got all their chips in as favorites against Greg preflop and Greg sucked out. His stack going into the final table was impressive, but his final table play was nothing special.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM

That'll be Raymer's best hope if he makes it to the final table: try to get all-in as a coin flip. I don't think we'll see Greg trying to put any moves on Ivy post-flop.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the final table last year the other players repeatedly got all their chips in as favorites against Greg preflop and Greg sucked out. His stack going into the final table was impressive, but his final table play was nothing special.

[/ QUOTE ]You wanna name all of those hands? I can think of one or two. His play was exactly what one should do with a big stack. You also ignore the fact that he was taking millions of dollars in chips literally with his play because ESPN doesn't show the multitude of times the table folded to his many aggressive raises. Raymer played just fine.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]You wanna name all of those hands? I can think of one or two. His play was exactly what one should do with a big stack. You also ignore the fact that he was taking millions of dollars in chips literally with his play because ESPN doesn't show the multitude of times the table folded to his many aggressive raises. Raymer played just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about what was shown on ESPN. I watched the entire final table multiple times on pokerstars where you saw every hand. And I never said he played badly, I just didn't think it was anything unbelievable. He played decent poker and got lucky a few times. I think Greg is a tremendous player, and I thought that before he won the WSOP. But you Raymer groupies have to chill out.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not talking about what was shown on ESPN. I watched the entire final table multiple times on pokerstars where you saw every hand. And I never said he played badly, I just didn't think it was anything unbelievable. He played decent poker and got lucky a few times. I think Greg is a tremendous player, and I thought that before he won the WSOP. But you Raymer groupies have to chill out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. How did you watch the final table on pokerstars?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that this was how TV depicted several situations, isn't part of playing with a big stack getting your money in when you may be a slight dog pre-flop, but if you hit you're now a huge favorite?

Also, I think "sucked out" is a bit of an extreme adjective for a lot of the situations Greg was in. I see sucking out as putting your money in after the flop or turn when you're getting thinner and thinner, and THEN hitting, not really putting it in pre-flop when your opportunities are the broadest. Especially when you figure in stack size.

I may be way off base, however... And I'm certainly not a "Raymer groupie"...
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 PM

Pokerstars typically has a live "broadcast" of the final table. It looks like an MTT table, with the names of the WSOP players on it. As bets/showdowns are made on the real final table, the Stars table is updated.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstars typically has a live "broadcast" of the final table. It looks like an MTT table, with the names of the WSOP players on it. As bets/showdowns are made on the real final table, the Stars table is updated.

[/ QUOTE ]

very interesting ... i didn't know this. I don't suppose that this could be re-created with hand histories?

I'm very interested in watching this.