Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: Deep stacks

[ QUOTE ]
however, i don't understand why he reraised for 350 more...if i was villian and i had qq or kk, i'd definately reraise to at least 650...that seems somewhat weak to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...

Pop it up again (to ~1250) and lead the turn when he calls. Fold otherwise. Villian holding KQ is not out of the question here.

This is definately NOT an "easy fold", although you sure are in a pickle. OOP with deep stacks and draw heavy flops equals calling $65 and letting the hand develop a bit more.

Forget the flop CR and lead (if you must) - ~$75. But if Villian is ahead and somewhat tricky you will not get much more information with this line.

Folding pre-flop is not a bad option with the small blind coming along for the ride. Calling pre-flop is okay as long as you already know how you prefer to handle these types of situations.

I like check-calling the flop and CR'ing a non-club turn.

Since you are already stuck, I say pop it again to define.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:10 PM

This doesn't look like the hand you want to play a big pot with, especially OOP. Fold.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:24 PM

This is a pretty straightforward read-dependent decision. Top two beats everything but a set, and should usually be played exactly like a set unless you suspect your opponent has a set himself. Here I think your read of the player as fairly solid and the fact that the money is deep and he reraised you after a checkraise, all point to a fold with his most likely hand being 88. However, if he is one of those players who plays solid preflop, but has trouble getting away from AKo when an A or K hits, then you might consider a push. There are enough draws out there that he might get suspicious and use them as an excuse to call.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:27 PM

folding preflop is bad. giving action is the way to go.

that said i either check-call the flop, or lead and see what happens, which will most likely be calling his raise.

do not like the flop check-raise to 200, because of exactly what happened: being 3-bet and hating it. or being called and faced with a big turn raise. not good.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Ugh, as it stands I am folding. I think a range of AA-QQ, 88, KQ, or 4 to a royal is pretty reasonable for villain here- you are roughly even money running it hot and cold, but being out of position puts you at a huge disadvantage.

I also fold preflop.

Perhaps the more pertinent question: does anyone prefer playing small ball here? I might either check-call the flop or lead and call a raise. This is counter-intuitive on such a draw-heavy board, but if you wind up playing for your stack here you are toast. Out of position I think pot control is more important than charging draws- I want to have the chance to see a showdown here.

-muz
Old 06-28-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL: Deep stacks (edit)

when we have 240-300BB stacks, KQo is probally the #1 hand along w/ QJo that i want my opponent to call a raise from the blinds with.

[ QUOTE ]
folding preflop is bad. giving action is the way to go.

that said i either check-call the flop, or lead and see what happens, which will most likely be calling his raise.

do not like the flop check-raise to 200, because of exactly what happened: being 3-bet and hating it. or being called and faced with a big turn raise. not good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM

just want to re-iterate how terrible folding preflop is here.

-250-300 BB stacks
-open LP raise for 2.5 more BB
-sb calls

i don't care about my bad position. i don't care about my potentially dominated hand strength. the other situational factors outweigh both of those points.

if you disagree i recommend sticking to playing 50-100 BB stacks, and waiting around to flop sets all day.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the other situational factors outweigh both of those points.

[/ QUOTE ]

expand.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 PM

Other situational factors? What are these factors you speak of?

Almost all of the things you have mentioned so far favor folding. The SB call gives you better pot odds, but builds a bigger pot faster and brings in another player to beat your TP-type hand. The deep stacks give the player in position more streets to outmaneuver you.

Other than flopping the straight, it is tough to find a situation here where you are excited about putting a lot of $ in the pot. Here, for example, you flopped top 2 and are probably going to have to fold the flop.

KQo is a good hand and all, but playing it 3-handed to a raise, out of position, and with 250-300 BB stacks is not a good spot.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:38 PM

at least you edited the stack depth after realizing it wasnt 150BB.

i am surprised that a winning player in party's 2k game would not see this is a clear call.

i won't expound myself, but i will suggest this:
if the stack sizes were each 500 BB, would you call?
if they were 1k BB?
or would you never call?
at what depth would you consider the the crossover point between calling and folding?

also, what range of LP opening hands would you give a standard player and 250BB stacks?

do you not have much experience outside of moderately shallow stacks?