Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Alaskan cruise - NSFW

So for a combination gift of Christmas and my folks 30th wedding anniversary, I've decided to send my folks on an Alaskan cruise. They have never been on a cruise before, but they have said many times that they would love to. They have also said that they want to see Canada and Alaska, so i figured a cruise would be great for them. They live close to Seattle, so their port of call would be Seattle.

Have any of you been on an Alaskan cruise? How did you like it? Any suggestions for a certain cruiseline? The good/bads of the trip? Also, what types of clothing/accessories should they bring?

Thanks OOT, oh and a hot chick -

Old 12-09-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Alaskan cruise

Young,

I'd like to cruise that coastline.

BTW, add "hot chick" to your title...

Cleaning up OOT 1 post at a time,
Asofel
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm simply too quick!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM

astro,

hahaha, very nice.

too slow,
Asofel
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Alaskan cruise - NSFW

My parents dragged me on one of these cruises when I was 13. It was actually pretty cool, and we did a bunch of fun side trips (white water rafting, helicopter up to a glacier, halibut/salmon fishing and a seaplane ride), plus Glacier Bay was great. The only really bad thing about the trip was that the average age of the passengers on our boat was like 92 years old and there werent many kids, but I'm sure it would be fine for a 30th anniversary gift. I think we left from Vancouver, and we did ours on Holland America.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:12 PM

It might be cheaper to go from Vancouver than from Seattle. I think there's a US tax on foreign ships going from American port to American port, so Vancouver gets most of the cruise ship business going to Alaska.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM

I went on an alaskan cruise this summer with my family + extended family (I'm 19). We took Princess cruises, and it was a good experience.

If your parents are active, and don't mind walking, then they should enjoy the trip.

We stopped in 4 cities, Juneau, ketchikan, anchorage, and I don't remember the last. The cities themselves are pretty boring, and in order to fully take advantage of Alaska are the extra trips out (these trips cost extra money, and range from glacier trips, historical sites such as train rides, etc).

The cruise itself was fun- there were alot of things to do, and it was easy to relax and such. I went during the summer, so the temperatures were nice-60s-70s. I wore shorts and a sweatshirt and coats later on at night.

Food is good, you can eat whenever/whatever you want. I think the Alaskan cruise was a good experience, and I recommend it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went on an alaskan cruise this summer with my family + extended family (I'm 19). We took Princess cruises, and it was a good experience.

If your parents are active, and don't mind walking, then they should enjoy the trip.

We stopped in 4 cities, Juneau, ketchikan, anchorage, and I don't remember the last. The cities themselves are pretty boring, and in order to fully take advantage of Alaska are the extra trips out (these trips cost extra money, and range from glacier trips, historical sites such as train rides, etc).

The cruise itself was fun- there were alot of things to do, and it was easy to relax and such. I went during the summer, so the temperatures were nice-60s-70s. I wore shorts and a sweatshirt and coats later on at night.

Food is good, you can eat whenever/whatever you want. I think the Alaskan cruise was a good experience, and I recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, good info.

yeah, my folks are in their early 50's and pretty active so they wouldn't mind long walks. Were the cities just boring in general, or boring for a 19 year old? also, how was the ship and room?

Also, to anyone whose been on any cruise I guess, what do you think are the top quality carriers or cruise lines that you have had good experiences with in the past.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 PM

Tami is fine, where do I buy one?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 PM

My parents dragged me on one of these cruises when I was 13. It was actually pretty cool, and we did a bunch of fun side trips (white water rafting, helicopter up to a glacier, halibut/salmon fishing and a seaplane ride), plus Glacier Bay was great. The only really bad thing about the trip was that the average age of the passengers on our boat was like 92 years old and there werent many kids, but I'm sure it would be fine for a 30th anniversary gift. I think we left from Vancouver, and we did ours on Princess.

(Thanks, Wlvryn, for the text.)

And like the other dude said, make sure you either give them lots of cash for the "excursions" and tips, or prepare them psychologically for this extra expense.

The other town the other guy couldn't remember is probably Skagway. There they took us to some cheesy musical about Alaska's early days. In Juneau they took us to a cheesy Native Olympics demonstration. Not fun for kids, but I think old folks would enjoy that stuff.