Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Best poker books

On a previous thread, someone mentioned the books "SSH, ITH, ToP", and the only one I know is Theory of Poker--what are the other two?
(Im a newb to 2+2) :P Thanks

And also, any reccomendations?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Best poker books

SSH=small stakes holdem, a must read. awesome book
i dont know the other one. cant say ive seen that before
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 AM

I believe ITH would be Internet Texas Hold'em by Matthew Hilger.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 AM

If you're a new player then get ITH, it's very good for getting started. When you understand everything in it get SSH to really learn how to take advantage of the play at low limits.
SSH can be tough to understand if you haven't read a poker book first, and for that I think ITH is the best.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 AM

small stake hold 'em is the best book ever written (in my opinion) on the subject of texas hold 'em. in order to really benefit from it, you must already have a basic understanding of the game, but it is one of those books you can read and re-read and still learn new things everytime. i couldn't say enough good things about it.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:31 PM

I have the obligatory HEFAP, Caro's and TPFAP.

But, I just recently picked up Harrington on Hold'em, which I only got because a few guys here said it was good. I found it very informative. Still, I think ol'Dan is a 60+ year old mama's boy with no rap and a stiff bill on his hat. I always go back to his 'speech' to Crux upon his 2003 WSOP exit. What a maroon.......talk about stammering jackass. Crux actually gave me a tell about halfway through Dan's rant. His eyes were saying "Get this tool away from me, I just got busted out of my shot at 5 mil."

Also, I just picked up Tournament Poker and the Art of War, which kicks ass. I'd recommend it to anyone. Not big, but big on content.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the obligatory HEFAP, Caro's and TPFAP.

But, I just recently picked up Harrington on Hold'em, which I only got because a few guys here said it was good. I found it very informative. Still, I think ol'Dan is a 60+ year old mama's boy with no rap and a stiff bill on his hat. I always go back to his 'speech' to Crux upon his 2003 WSOP exit. What a maroon.......talk about stammering jackass. Crux actually gave me a tell about halfway through Dan's rant. His eyes were saying "Get this tool away from me, I just got busted out of my shot at 5 mil."

Also, I just picked up Tournament Poker and the Art of War, which kicks ass. I'd recommend it to anyone. Not big, but big on content.

[/ QUOTE ]

despite your feelings about harrington personally, his book is to NL tournies what Miller's is to limit at small stakes: the greatest ever.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Behind TOP & SSH I'd add The Psycology of Poker by Alan Schoonberg(sp?). Provides a valuable insite to the various styles of players as well as your own. Helps you get into their heads.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:42 PM

27 offsuit--I recommend that you get to a few final tables before you call wsop winners, moron's. two other points obviously you are young and ignorant or would not feel free to insult 60 year old men. Please learn how to spell moron before you call someone that name.
why don't you write a book and enlighten us with poker knowledge and wisdom? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2005, 06:22 PM

Defyodds,
Not to defend 27's post or anything because i don't agree with it, but i do belive he was shooting for the word maroon and not moron, so a spelling correction is not necessary [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]