Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Hand critique please

Hey guys this is a hand from last night's live game. It's $.5/$1 NLHE. There were currently 6 people at the table. Im in the big blind.
Dealt: Qh3h
Everyone limps, family pot.

Flop Comes 9h10h4h

Small Blind (tightest player in the game) bets $20.
I put him on either trips or 2 pair and is simply trying to make the draw pay or fold. I think for a looooong time and raise to $40. One girl calls my raise, so i put her on the A high flush draw. Original bettor just calls.

Turn: 7c

Original bettor bets his last $8. I call because of the huge pot, as does the girl, who is also all in. Any thoughts?

Results in white: <font color="white">The original bettor flips up Kh6h and the girl turns up Ah10s after the flush draw misses on the river. I nod my head for raising when i was drawing dead </font>
Old 01-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Hand critique please

I would put in all my chips in the centre after the $20 bet without hesitation.
I do NOT want to give anyone with Kh or Ah draws anywhere near pot-odds. I also would have put the aggressor on a semi-bluff.
Possibly Ah and a T or a 9. Betting to have low flushes ponder the fold, and to fold twopais and any tens (in case of A9).
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 PM

Given that you put the live player on the Ace of Hearts, why the heck didn't you raise the turn?
Old 01-09-2005, 08:56 PM

Hmm, just read the results. Not that the hindsight matters, but I repeat: raise the turn.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 PM

At least raise to create a side pot and recover some of your losses there if they miss their draw.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:51 PM

i think the second caller who was on a draw ended up all in after the call too....if i read it right
Old 01-09-2005, 11:10 PM

Right you are.

I don't think there's any way the poster (whose rather ungainly name I'm not going to spell out here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) can fold to the flop bet, because such a large bet announces that the tight player has a vulnerable hand. That is, the tight player does not hold Ahxh (if he did, he would let in the weaker draws). Therefore, the poster has to think his hand is probably boss. (That said, if original bettor is very tight, the poster is wrong to put him on 2-pair, particularly after he calls the $20 raise. He can only have a set (against which the poster is a 2-1 favorite) or a made flush - and a made flush is more likely to be smaller than the poster's than to be precisely Khxh - again, we can be reasonably confident that the bettor does not hold Ahxh.)

Disappointing hand, but I think the poster played it correctly on all streets (including, unfortunately, the call on the turn, though not for the reason he gave - rather, he should call the turn because he is 3-1 to beat a random flush that, because of the size of the original bet, must not include the Ace and the pot odds are 128 (implied) to 8).