Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: How I Became a Christian (LONG)

<font color="red"> Why shouldn't someone commit murder if he wants to and can get away with it? </font>

Who says he shouldn't? Who says there is no such thing as justifiable murder?

The real question is, why would he want to? Are you suggesting that being an atheist should make you want to be become a murderer?

If a theist doesn't kill because because of his fear of God, and an atheist doesn't kill because he is not so inclined, who is purer of heart?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible is not a tree.[ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think on a molecular level they would be fairly similar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM

Your argument is sound, NR. Without a god, there are no absolutes. There can be no logical argument against that statement. But it doesn't matter. We don't need absolutes. We especially don't need contradictory absolutes.

I am aware that you believe Christianity is somehow different from all the heathen beliefs, but, quite simply, it isn't. The absolute morality given to us by an imaginary god is necessarily imaginary.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Why shouldn't someone commit murder if he wants to and can get away with it? </font>

The real question is, why would he want to? Are you suggesting that being an atheist should make you want to be become a murderer?

If a theist doesn't kill because because of his fear of God, and an atheist doesn't kill because he is not so inclined, who is purer of heart?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point he is making. It is a rhetorical question that implies that someone cannot reasonably claim murder is wrong while at the same time believing chance is ultimate. It is not saying you should or shoudn't be a murderer.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

We have been on pretty good terms, though I haven't spoken to her in some time. I do think of her, and mutually we've always wished each other the best.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point he is making. It is a rhetorical question that implies that someone cannot reasonably claim murder is wrong while at the same time believing chance is ultimate. It is not saying you should or shoudn't be a murderer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make laws against behavior w/o having to make an absolute assessment -- every legistlature in the land does this every day. So enough of the implying "no God, no laws".
Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks NotReady.

[ QUOTE ]
C.S. Lewis once said his faith was weakest after he had spent time defending it publically. The reason is that for just a brief time it seemed as if the truth of Christianity itself depended on him and his abilities, and that can make the whole thing seem weak indeed. Because of that you might be better off not spending much time on this board. There are difficult and tricky arguments against Christianity and many people who would like you to "unconvert".

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point here. This board is helping my faith for the most part, and it allows me see areas in apologetics I need to work on. My questions were somewhat although not completely rhetorical.

Regardless, thanks for the reply.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM

"Thanks for posting this - I know it isn't easy to put something like this out there amongst the wolves."

And would you be saying this if his testimony led him to become Jewish or Muslim?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think on a molecular level they would be fairly similar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not online.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point he is making. It is a rhetorical question that implies that someon e cannot reasonably claim murder is wrong while at the same time believing chance is ultimate. It is not saying you should or shoudn't be a murderer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay.