Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM

Default +EV Starting Hands

I searched to see if this was covered before and couldn't find it, so if it was, I am doing it again.

I came across stats for starting hands and there +EV. It starts with AA at +2.32 and goes to 32s at -.16. The statistics are based on 122,031,244 pair of pocket cards dealth at the real money tables. The unit for EV is average profit in big bets. Not a bad sample size.

I started to compare this list to recommended starting hands found in the books. The top hands are pretty much the same but as you get down the lists they start to differ. I expected some difference but some hands like 98s is ranked middle in the book and listed at 0.00 in the stats. Others that are middle in the books J9s, 87s, and 76s are either break even or below. Others like 88 are higher in the stats then the books. I have not looked at all of them yet, but was suprised to see as much of a difference that I see at first glance.

My questions are these.

Are the lists in the books based on simulations or real stats like I found? If not, what are they based on?

I got my list from http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evsta...hp?order=value
are there other such lists or simulations that I can compare? If so, where are they?