Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 AM

Default 99 out of position.

MP1 is loose and aggressive. This is a 'beginners table'. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) HandConverter Link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Comments?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:46 AM

Default Re: 99 out of position.

* grunch *

It looks to me like MP1 is sticking in with his top pair of Kings but is worried about trips. He also may have something less and is worried about a bluff. He play tells me he has something. Why did you bet the river?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:15 AM

I would have bet the flop.

There were no flush or straight draws available on this flop. So you are behind to anyone with an unlikely 5 or someone with Kx. I doubt that anyone has a higher pair, as no one raised preflop.

I like betting the flop, because by checking you risked the flop being checked through and allowing anyone with an overcard to your 99 to outdraw you.

I agree with your turn bet for the same reason of not allowing a free card to one of your opponents to outdraw you, if you have the best hand.

I would probably have check/called the river. Thats because there were not many worse hands (perhaps a smaller pocket pair) that were likely to call your bet.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 AM

*grunch*

What is the reason for that Checkraise? If you expect BB to bet and people call and you raise, it will not thin the field...and you might not be ahead and drawing tot he best hand so it can't be to build a pot...

I woulda just bet the flop, call if raised and check/fold the turn
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM

The reason for the check-raise was to attempt to get it heads up against a loose and aggressive player. On second thought, I think I should have bet the flop and hoped the BB raised. However, the table was extremely passive, and I believe if the BB raised, I would definitely be behind. So I checked, not really sure what I was hoping to accomplish, though honestly I probably would have folded to a BB bet and multiple callers; I would be hard pressed to continue with an underpair on a scary board with many opponents.

However, since the BB checked, and the LAG bet, folding two other players, I tried to get it heads up. I failed, but established I was most likely ahead of BB.

Part of my question revolves around playing this hand out of position. I have issues resolving river play when I'm first to act. I think a check-call on the river would have been a better play as well.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 PM

Betting the flop is bad. Checking the flop is good.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:28 PM

You are trying to convince the table you have a five, but at a beginner's table I don't think the pair of kings is going to fold.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 PM

On reading the whole hand, you definitely get the feeling that he's hanging on to his KJo with determination....

Still It doesn't feel like that when you're wondering what to do at the turn.

Personally I bet out at the flop and see if I get raised. If i get raised, i call and check/fold u/i.

If I get called on the turn I bet out and then groan/fold when I get raised- unless I have a read.