Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Default I\'m playing too many hands..

From what I understand, the best players on party are playing 14-15% of hands, and I play around 19%.

My starting hands:
Big Pairs
Totally live small pairs with good kickers.
Live 3 flushes
sometimes live 3 straights.
I fold rolled up hands cause they always lose.

Now, hands i'll play to a completion:
3 frushes.
Huge pairs, assuming my pair beats their door.
pairs when my kicker beats their door.

Anyway, I'm playing 30% more hands then the tightasses on party, what do I need to eliminate? I play 10/20 and 5/10.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: I\'m playing too many hands..

Personally I wouldn't cut out too much of that, but you may want to fold more of the pairs that are smaller than their door with overcard kickers. Fold them anytime it won't get headsup or if you think there is particular reason to think that they could have something better than they are representing. You could also just always fold these hands if the raiser is any good and you'd do fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally live small pairs with good kickers.
Live 3 flushes

[/ QUOTE ]

Maye some of these, like smaller 3 flushes.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Given the tight structure at party you are not giving much up folding hands like (A3)3 on 3rd for a bring-in and def. fold it for a completion against most opponents. I think it is important to note the difference between (33)A and (3A)3 in terms of your ability to get paid off when you make three of a kind. Also - I like little pairs big kicker a little more when they are two of a suit.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:15 PM

"Sometimes live 3 straights" - I have some pretty strict conditions about playing these. If there is no solid overcard, or a live two flush, then I throw away almost all of these. Reason being, that if I brick on fourth, then I have some other kind of out as well. Maybe these are your rules too.

On the other hand, my playing percentage is very close to yours, assuming that the number includes bring-ins that force you to play fourth when you would otherwise fold.

I was chatting with Roland about this and he is so tight he squeaks - 13 to 15% I think. I believe that he avoids certain types of hands that I play. On certain tables, I will lower my standards by limping in on third, and maybe even fourth if I am last to act and don't have to worry about being re-raised. This will drive my % played up by a few points, and in my case likely explains the difference between my 20% and the 15% or so that some people end up with.

I saw a post from Sara a while back where she mentioned a target of 20%, so your 19% does not sound so bad. From what I can tell, she could end up buying a yacht from her poker winnings, so maybe you don't want to be at 15% after all [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a post from Sara a while back where she mentioned a target of 20%, so your 19% does not sound so bad. From what I can tell, she could end up buying a yacht from her poker winnings, so maybe you don't want to be at 15% after all [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Sara is clearly an expert – and I’m not. So while she might end up buying a yacht, I might end up blowing my bankroll.
Just keep in mind that it’s almost impossible to play too tight, especially in this tight structure.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM

100/8=12.5
Either you're at a super aggressive table or those players are only playing the top 5% of hands!??

Aren't tight players the easiest to play since you know exactly what they have?
Old 06-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Are you suggesting (3A)3 is worse than (33)A? I think this is at least an "it depends" question. When your doorcard is really low, people are often less likely to put you on trips when you pair it, but more importantly aces up is also a hand that generally likes to be paid off. And you'll hit that 50% more often, assuming all your cards are likely. But perhaps most importantly, the A doorcard will give you the worst position throughout the hand. On the plus side you'll have an easier time stealing with an A up. But your post talked about getting paid off when you hit, and for that I'd prefer 3A3.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM

Also - I forgot to mention that in your and my usual games, I think there is more value in being a little too loose then a little too tight considering the ability to out play opponents on later streets and get paid off when you hit.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100/8=12.5
Either you're at a super aggressive table or those players are only playing the top 5% of hands!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhmm........ what are you talking about? I will assume you're talking about the fact that if everybody went to showdown, you expect to win 12.5%? I'm talking %age of time I see 4th street.