Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: My only problem playing limit poker

how would you have played the hand if you had the ak there?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Surgical versus pharmaceutical castration! Questions, questions!

Dear Little Slick,

You raise an interesting question.

How best to help you make the leap from no-limit to limit hold-em?

Years ago I would have recommended that you have your self surgically castrated and then be started on an oral estrogen replacement therapy.

But now (thanks to the work the Germans have done in their research on the pharmaceutical treatment of sexual predators) I would recommend that you undergo pharmaceutical castration.

You can ask you physician to prescribe one of the new imidazoles. (Pfizer has developed several excellent ones) Then I would recommend that you immediately start on your estrogen replacement therapy, before you took another hand.

Oral estrogens are usually adequate, but in your case I would recommend injections of depo-provera. Intra muscular injections will give you significantly higher blood levels that you will need to master the game.
Your new estrogens should diminish your compulsion to push all of your chips into the middle, when ever both of your starting cards have a picture on them. As well as help with your acne.

Not only will the depo-provera help prevent your hot flashes when ever some one calls your raises, it should also help with swooning!

We wouldn’t want you swooning ever time some one raised your big blind now, would we?

Thank you for raising this fascinating question.

Love,

Big Slick
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM

Default NL hand and limon quote...

My NL hand I played while waiting for a seat. I played maybe 10 nl hands in my life, these guys look real young.

KT BB. Button limps, SB calls. I dunno, $10 in pot or something.

J high flop, 9 on the turn...both checked around.

River Q. SB checks. I bet $10. Button goes all-in $300. SB goes all-in $300. I umm, call or push or whatever.

SB turns over T8 and says "nuts". Button says beats two pair...

I have since played some more NL and I will agree with you, it seems harder to me than limit. I can't keep track of pot size and my odds very well. In limit, counting bets is easier. I love limit cause I hate work and its steady money, especially for a plodder like me. But I agree with limon:

"pl and nl are people games so whether the game is shorthanded or full makes less of a difference. limit isnt a people game cause hands get shown down, its a card game. limit is like flag football or foxyboxing."
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Good to see you're crushing the Stars .02/.04 game.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM

First of all you didnt even post what limit this was. If you really think all the limit players are so bad, you should make it your main game. Theres no way you make as much at 2K No limit as you will at the 100-200 and 150-300 limit games.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM

Those limit games require at least double the bankroll of NL2K. And this original post was a joke. A funny one, IMO.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Yay.

You flopped the nuts and it held up.

Congratulations.

First time ever doing that? Right on. It'll happen again.

It's hard to play the nuts effectively the first time you ever flop them. I would've never thought of capping the flop or river. Thanks for presenting that line. My game is now complete.

Print that HH out and post it on your fridge. That should get your mornings started in the right direction.

b
Old 08-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Surgical versus pharmaceutical castration! Questions, questions!

clearly you are being facetious but i still must disagree that nl is more manly than limit.

first off, i wont make attempts to say that limit is harder, a better game, more skillful or any of that. i dont really know but i would assume that nl with huge stacks and good players is proly a super tough, deepthinking game. capped buyin nl is proly the gayest game ever contrived tho. digression over.

to my point: limit (especially shorthanded) takes plenty of "balls" and "manliness." the shear relentlessness that you must employ puts you in many marginal or tough situations. stealing and defending blinds and semibluffing are very tough things to do.

of course nl takes balls. but most of it is waiting and then being put to the test on a big allin. the blind struggle is not nearly as important. i am not saying which is harder (i dont know).

lastly, i am kind of sick of everyone denigrating each others game yet providing no real basis for their respective claims. your post is kinda funny tho.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant help but think of limit holdem as the female version of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
So...why are you playing limit here and then feel compelled to post an obvious no-skill needed hand? Feeling a little feminine?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all you didnt even post what limit this was. If you really think all the limit players are so bad, you should make it your main game. Theres no way you make as much at 2K No limit as you will at the 100-200 and 150-300 limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

2k nl players can make somewhere around 550 bucks and hour with less variance than 100-200.
30-60 limit you can swing somewhere around 200 an hour.
100-200 and 2k nl are comparable.

I started playing NL first and then I moved to limit. For the record.