Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Stalling

Give me a minute to think about this.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:44 PM

As usual, I have a probable much different opinion on this than many...

I have absolutely no problems with excessive clock abuse, within the stated rules. This is exactely what we saw from h-dog and I give her credit for finding a strategy that (obviously to some degree) worked for her.

It makes no difference how she got into the event, the end result is that it is her 10K on the line and she, or anybody else, has every right to exploit a rule for their advantage, within the 'letter of the rule'. Anything else would be a disservice to themselves.

If the tournament officials find it to be over abused by players, just as in any other contest or sport we see, rules will be adjusted. For instance, all they really need to do is enpower the dealer to place people on the clock when requested, rather then waiting for a tournament director. More players would ask for the clock because it would be 'immediate' and the problem (for the most part) would be solved.

As for the other stalling situation, where a player or players are intentionally stalling in order to aid another player (who in this case, has not arrived back from break), I have big problems with this and feel it boarders on (but does not constitute) collusion.

I have no problems with the 'stalling' involved, as described above.

But, when you have players doing this to aid another player, we have a problem.

We really have to get past the 'sportsmenship' aspect of this issue to understand why. This is a multitable event and the players at one table should not be able to make collabrative efforts to aid another, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

The player in question (who was late arriving back), made a mistake. It is no different then showing up to the event late, leaving early, being penalized for an f-bomb or any other self induced situation which may cost a player chips during the course of an event.

Everyone else in the facility seemed to be able to decode the mysterous PA announcments, why should one player be given the benefit of extra rest without the appropriate loss of chips?

I don't remember anybody stalling for John Murphy last year when he overslept (or saying it was unsportmens-like to not).
Old 07-15-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's POKER seriously..

[/ QUOTE ]

Not anymore - not in the sense in which you mean it, anyway. Poker is practically (if not) a family game now...it's the new Scrabble. Which in turns means, in the right setting, you can break out those dirty words...but when the kiddies are around, you keep it clean! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]