Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

LOL I remember Depp saying he hated Jump Street too. That's the first point I had any respect for the guy, because I hated that show's premise: make friends and rat them out every week. Turns out he did too, but I guess a boy's gotta eat.

I slowly grew to like Depp, mostly because he had the guts or career vision or whatever to take really unusual roles that weren't the kind of thing someone does just to make bigger and bigger paychecks.

Now, though, I dunno. There's no way anyone can beat Wilder's performance here or even come remotely close. So that leaves it up to Depp to just do something interesting on his own.

Anyone else wonder if he's coming out of the closet or something? Because Pirates of the Carribean was one of the all-time gayest performances ever. I don't really know why it occurred to Depp that being completely fruity was particularly "piratey." Strange choice, and it was a very distracting performance to watch. It seemed like he needed counseling and a hug. Well, not that kind of hug.

Now in this Charlie and the Chocolate Factory retread, he seems to have leaped mincing into the fray on queer parade super-fabulousness power. The super-effeminate make-up and hair, the weird fruity acting -- he's definitely taken a page from the Michael Jackson playbook, and considering the movie's about a lets-face-it creepy adult hanging around with kids who are at his mercy in his own version of a Neverland Playhouse, with the consent of their parents, the yuck factor and icky resonance is sky-high in this one.

I dunno, we all have to make our choices I guess, but Depp's have been getting weird and weirder, but not at the same time more and more interesting or better and better. I kind of get the feeling watching this movie might be like watching a traffic accident, only substitute careers for cars. No knowledge there at all -- just that the whole movie feels like a creepy mis-step.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
by worse remake of a movie ever, do you mean worse than the remake of "Planet of the Apes?" cuz that blew.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon you don't think marky mark > charlton heston?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 07-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Me neither. That ole corn pone was good in some of those movies.