Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: middle limit holdem

[ QUOTE ]
Hi bobbyi:

[ QUOTE ]
In the games this book was written for, these were good plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

In middle limit games where many players are capable of overly aggressive play, in my opinion these specific plays are anything but good plays.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this book written before the poker boom?

b
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM

in tight passive red chip live games many of these plays make sense to me.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope everyone listens to you and does not read the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. SSHE and Harrington's books are crap to. If you really want to improve your game, read "Play Poker Like the Pros!" :-)
Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 AM

This is by far the best book around. Ciaffone/Reuben and company provide great examples and their advice. Of course, they are not always correct and this gets you thinking. Just post some hands that you feel are incorrect. I'd say that their answers are correct 80% of the time which is in itself very educative.

Indy
Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 AM

Default ha

bump because i just found this gem:

from pg 247: "(15) A 20-40 game. You open raise A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from early position, two MP players and the BB call.

The flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You bet, MP1 calls, and MP2 raises. What do you do?

Answer: Call. Reraising is a bad idea out of position. When the board flops all of one suite and there is a bet and a raise to you, then at least one of your opponents has a made flush or the nut flush draw. Since you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] it is apparent that someone has the flush, and they are not laying it down. Save yourself some money by checking and calling."

LOL
Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Book has value

i think this book has value. yes, it is weak tight, and the reader must have enough knowledge to understand in many of today's aggressive games, you must sometimes play differently from what the authors recommend. however, that is not the case in a lot of the examples. more importantly, this book more so then any other book stresses flop texture. i think that part alone makes this book helpful. additionally, there are a lot of helpful thoughts throughout the book. if the authore were writing it today, i suspect it would be a "better" book for today's games. but i think this book get dismissed to easily, and has a lot of value. etizzle, i think your missing a lot, if you just think this is trash.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Book has value

after reading the other posters responses, it is nice to see that others agree with my thoughts on this book.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: ha

[ QUOTE ]
bump because i just found this gem:

from pg 247: "(15) A 20-40 game. You open raise A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] from early position, two MP players and the BB call.

The flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You bet, MP1 calls, and MP2 raises. What do you do?

Answer: Call. Reraising is a bad idea out of position. When the board flops all of one suite and there is a bet and a raise to you, then at least one of your opponents has a made flush or the nut flush draw. Since you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] it is apparent that someone has the flush, and they are not laying it down. Save yourself some money by checking and calling."

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

And just what hands do you put these guys on, especially the raiser, where he's unlikely to knock anyone out?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: ha

Why would you 3 bet this if it is very likely the guy has a made flush? Also note the type of game they are referring to it is likely that the guy raising would have the flush.

You're not in position to take a free card, and if the guy has a flush, it's not a value raise.(assuming the BB folded to the flop raise)

b
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Book has value

you are right, there is definitely some decent stuff in the book, which is why i opened it again. Every once in a while though, I come across one of these hand examples and am completely shocked by what they suggest.