Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Loose passive opponents still cause me lot of troubles

I dont mean the 90/0 ones. I mean the 50/10 ones who just call with top pair. Especially when the table is filled with them.

My usually style is to play highly agressive game, semi bluff alot, value bet 3rd pairs.

But when there is several players calling my raises cold with stuff like J6, A7, K9....

I know I should be happy, but how should I adjust my style against these guys?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Loose passive opponents still cause me lot of troubles

Don't semibluff them, and don't value bet your 3rd pair unless they're the type to call with a high card. Actually they're probably the best class of player to value bet your 3rd pair against, not that doing it often will be +EV..
Old 08-08-2005, 07:33 AM

Loose passives are the best kind of player to have at the table because its so ABC to make/save bets.

-stop bluffing
-stop semi bluffing
-value bet weaker hands
-fold more to turn/river raises

I'm sure there are more but that's the basics.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Definitely don't bluff these people, but I'm not sure I'd go along with no semi-bluffing, at least not headsup. That would eliminate a lot of betting. Besides, many of the loose/passives routinely call flop bets and fold to turn bets.

Up against several LP in one pot, I'd agree with avoiding semi-bluffs too.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 AM

Those seem to be the people that always think you're bluffing or that you didn't hit your hand. Don't bother trying to drive them off with aggression if it's not working...they're only going to call you down with a weak but better hand. They also tend to give a lot of free/cheap cards because they're worried about their kicker. Since you can't drive them off, don't be afraid to take the free card on the turn after they call your raise with poo.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Make sure you put them on your right, so you have position on them on most hands. It's the difference between being cold-called and isolating. This is huge.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM

I was just going to post something on this as well as I have trouble with them too.

If you raise AJ and get 2 of these players cold calling would you still typically lead a ragged flop or do you check and see what they do? I hate not value betting against them but I don't want to give them free cards either... but when I bet the flop and they call am I looking to check/fold the turn now?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I feel the need to be honest with you because I see so many posts from you that make you seem lost. you need to move down unless you have a lot of money to burn. if you've won, you've gotten lucky. you don't knwo what you're doing. if you can't beat the loose passive opponents then you know next to nothing about this game. I'm sorry and I don't mean anything personally here, but you consistently post things that make me wonder how you're still playing middle limit games. the players in the micro forum have a more solid udnerstanding of the game than you. I think you jumped in too quickly because you don't udnerstand the game. you have a shell of an understanding without any foundation or core. it's going to cost you a lot of money

I'm sorry. that needed to be said
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you put them on your right, so you have position on them on most hands. It's the difference between being cold-called and isolating. This is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. I decline open seats in good games all the time when I'd be forced to sit with a super calling station on my left and a tightie on my right. I want it the other way around, and with over 8,000 tables going at once on Party, I can ALWAYS find a table where I get what I want. Table selection and seat selection = $$$$.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just going to post something on this as well as I have trouble with them too.

If you raise AJ and get 2 of these players cold calling would you still typically lead a ragged flop or do you check and see what they do? I hate not value betting against them but I don't want to give them free cards either... but when I bet the flop and they call am I looking to check/fold the turn now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good question. I wish someone had a good answer to that - if there is. My standard play goes. Bet flop they call. Check turn. One bets the other one calls. And me? I have the pot odds (since I managed to create a big pot) to call the turn and then go and fold the river UI where the LP shows 74o for a pair and takes the big pot that I built up. But even worse I have found a few instances that I was bluff-bet by a LP (!) on the river. That made me feel so low as you can imagine. I understand that in the long run I'll make a profit in theory. At the moment my AKo loses 1BB/100 (!). Sorry if it sounds like whining. I just wonder if someone has a better suggestion.