Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Sklansky on poker

I recently read a little bit of "Sklansky on Poker" and found it interesting and is debating if I should buy it. I was wondering if anyone have read this book and can give a fair review on it. Thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Sklansky on poker

[ QUOTE ]
I recently read a little bit of "Sklansky on Poker" and found it interesting and is debating if I should buy it. I was wondering if anyone have read this book and can give a fair review on it. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not familiar with the first half of the book, but the second half is considered to be the best source of information on Razz out there.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:07 AM

This book is considered a classic. The first half is comprised of essays on general concepts plus a short section on tournament play. The second half is universally considered the definative guide to play Razz.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really liked it. Before TPFAP came out, it had some of the best tournament advice out there. The section on Razz is top notch. I think this is maybe 2+2's most underrated title. In fact, I said such nice things about it that I'm quoted on the back cover. Take that for what you will.

http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/reviews/..._on_poker.html
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 PM

I read it. Loved every page of it. Reread the first half recently (lots of it is reiterated in ToP), but it still has some great content.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM

If you ever play Razz the book will pay for itself. Heck, some of the articles in the first half will pay for the book pretty quick even for a 2/4 player.

I liked it alot. It's also excellent toilet reading! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: 3 books

A terrific book. the first half is filled with top notch essays.

the section on outs, and learning the possible ak and aq, vs aa, kk, qq, jj, tt is very impt to most players. overall the first part is a must.

part 2 on razz is the definitive work on razz.

i think "sklansky on poker", "getting the best of it" by sklansky, and "gambling theory and other topics" my malmuth are three infrequently mention books that all serious poker players must read.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 PM

My quick review....

1) While the essays in the beginning of the book are solid, they are more geared towards newer playes. Most experienced players will have probably read these essays before anyway.

2) While the Razz section is undoubtedly the best writing on Razz ever, it has to be one of the most dry and lackluster sections I've ever read. I enjoy playing Razz in a while, but it, too is a dull game, so I guess something on Razz is almost guaranteed to be dull as well.

I've posted my thoughts before, and faced some criticism about calling it dull. Again, the content is superb, but it isn't exactly something I'd like to read when relaxing.

Edit: I also haven't read the book in over a year, so my views of the Razz section might completely change if I were to go reread it, having some Razz experience now.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:23 PM

i also read it a while ago. however, i recall it differently. i remember some of the essays stressing somewhat advanced concepts that all playerss should be doing over the table, but most do not. i think many of the eassys are not for beginners.