Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Inducing a river raise w/ not much of a hand

UTG is very aggro, just shy of full-fledged maniac. I feel he is likely to raise w/ just about any two cards on this river. +EV river bet, expecting a raise?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: akshawnd is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG raises, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, akshawnd calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
akshawnd checks, UTG bets, akshawnd calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
akshawnd checks, UTG bets, akshawnd calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
akshawnd bets, UTG raises, akshawnd calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 06-03-2004, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Inducing a river raise w/ not much of a hand

I don't like this river bet. I'm sure the idea wasn't to get him to pay off A high. I suppose the idea was to get him to bluff raise...but on that board?

If he has no hand, he could well fold. If he's likely to bluff the river, let him and simply call down. As it is, you risk losing more in the event he actually has a solid hand. Heck, I'll gladly take the free showdown at this point.

Garland
Old 06-03-2004, 04:03 AM

I think it's very bad raise. You have bad chances to win this pot by your cards even against totally random cards. And so your opponent is stupid - he will exactly call your raise with almost any hand that will beat you. Even with something trashy like 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I would surely fold your hand on such flop. Even when i knew - agressor has a random hand.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 AM

I was at the same table as ulysses with this guy. Did i overplay this? For the session this guy had 86% vpip and preflop raise of 50%. He was playing any and everything.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero raises, MP folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 06-03-2004, 04:28 AM

I don't think - you overplayed. I think he may have something like A2-A4,A6,A8. I don't believe in 5 or 7, because he would 3-bet the turn with this even if he's stupid.

But if i were you i'm surely raise flop - and call 3-bet if it's happened. With such guys - the good way to play is raising when you have +ev against random hand. So on flop you're ahead - why not raise?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:39 AM

Yeah you're right. Probably should have raised the flop too but i was getting a bit skittish. He cleaned me out. Took me down with 73o and T4o flopping two pair, 83o making quads, and 46s hitting flush against my trips after he capped it pre, those are just a few off the top of my head. Last month was a rough one for me and this doesn't seem to be getting any better. I know i've played against some of you all. If anybody has noticed any holes in my game id like to hear if you're willing to share.

By the was Maniac took the pot with 34o
Old 06-03-2004, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know i've played against some of you all. If anybody has noticed any holes in my game id like to hear if you're willing to share

[/ QUOTE ]

note reads "pre-flop nancy" - to qualify for that note you must have a feeble pre-flop raise %

you did ask...

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 AM

Yes, this happen sometimes. That's why i like raising flop to find where am i and then call till river if believe i can be better but not too strong against random with such players.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:55 AM

Errrmmm....I have something similar in my notes, only I think I call scratchy "pre-flop panzy."

All preflop weakness aside (and other slight weak behavior aside), he is still not welcome at my table.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:06 AM

Even if he played every single hand he was dealt like this, which someone has already said isn't true. That river pay would be unprofitable.

If he raised every hand and bet/raise whenever he could his two cards would hit by the end 50% of the time. Against this player because he raised preflop and the flop is J high you can't increase the chance he missed the board.