Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Let\'s face it im horrible fish

[ QUOTE ]
Very good advices. Im going to try playing little tighter and 2 table 5 10 for a while now. Other thing that I realized after saying that preflop play-chart is that I haven't really cared about my position. UTG or CO have been all the same, only difference has been raising even lighter on button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly suggest PMing Joe Tall, (www.joetall.com), Alobar, or Kiddo for coaching. They are expensive, but not nearly as expensive as losing 1BB/100 in 30/60.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM

without reading any replies, i feel like you are a terrible player pf and that regardless of how great you play post flop you can't be winning/winning enough.

my friends who im teaching the game want to play J7 and Q8 and cringe when the fold it. if they can learn, why can't you?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
without reading any replies, i feel like you are a terrible player pf and that regardless of how great you play post flop you can't be winning/winning enough.

my friends who im teaching the game want to play J7 and Q8 and cringe when the fold it. if they can learn, why can't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be nice. I am sure with time he can be helped into a winning player.

I've been playing poker for 3 months. In the 3 months, I went from be a terrible tight-weak-passive player who was able to beat limits up to 0.5/1 and maybe 1/2 to a player who beat 5/10 for 40K hands. Since Lalit obviously has some poker background, and I really didn't, and he/she probably has some experience in postflop play, SH will take him/her even less time to master.

Lalit: This may sound weird, since it's for full games primarily, but read Hold'em for Advanced players. It has some really great concepts in it and will certainly make you a better player.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be nice. I am sure with time he can be helped into a winning player.

I've been playing poker for 3 months. In the 3 months, I went from be a terrible tight-weak-passive player who was able to beat limits up to 0.5/1 and maybe 1/2 to a player who beat 5/10 for 40K hands. Since Lalit obviously has some poker background, and I really didn't, and he/she probably has some experience in postflop play, SH will take him/her even less time to master.

Lalit: This may sound weird, since it's for full games primarily, but read Hold'em for Advanced players. It has some really great concepts in it and will certainly make you a better player.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting considering it is almost the exact same story as myself. Started poker 4.5 months ago at .5/1 with a $100 deposit (ran good) and just kept moving up to my current winning 50k+ hands I have in at 5/10.

Lalit, I think if you read the threads here, post hands, and are willing to listen to the more experienced posters you can turn your game around.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think having a high VPIP and being super aggresive pre flop is this romantic notion most posters on here have. Like being 30+/20+ and a winner is somehow so much cooler than being 23/15 and a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Superkickass point.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 PM

First step to improvement is admitting you have something to improve. You've done that. Good work. Now just tighten up a bit preflop, as you've suggested yourself and as others here have pointed out, and you'll be winning in no time.

Play patiently, tight and agressive postflop when hit. 5/10 isn't more complicated than that.

(FYI I'm a winning player at 10/20 for one year and played 5/10 a year before that. Over my last 7k hands (sorry my DB crashed a month ago) my VPIP is 31%, PFR 20%, BB/100 2.2. I consider myself semi-tight agressive. A good player but not great.)
Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Thanks for everybody.

1500 new hands is offcourse very little. But I think im going to right direction.
Changes I made immidietly to my game after this thread:

Play tighter, almost like the starting hand chart.

Continue hammering on turn instead of checking after opponents check, even if I hava like only A-high or small pair, this seems to be a great change.

Folding after opponent raises instead of reraising, good example is KJ, QJ now I fold after solid opponent raises.
Just noticed the chart actually recormends reraising KJ..

Value bet more hands like 2nd pair with weak kicker, it's amazing how much people call with even worse hands.