Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 01:36 AM

Default Re: $35M Aid to Disaster Relief

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Florida is in America, its filled with Americans that pay taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't give a sh[/i]it whether or not those people pay taxes into the U.S. coffers.

[/ QUOTE ]um, you should. I have no idea if you and GoT are paying taxes on your winnings, but I know I pay a lot of taxes, and it sure as hell better go to things here in America.

You go donate your own money, I am sure half of it will be well spent.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 AM

I really have no idea what your point is. I am sure there are plenty of explanations why certain states get more tax money than others, but whatever, thats a whole different topic entirely.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:56 AM

No, that's bs.

And we don't technically live in a democacy. A large percentage of Americans don't even pay federal income tax, so why should they get to decide where federal income tax dollars get spent?

Sure, they pay payroll taxes, but those are for Social Security and Medicare, where there is at least some expected benefit. People who pay federal income taxes pay those taxes as well.

Under a Democracy, government is directed by the desire of a majority of citizens, inevitably leading to its downfall when, as the British intellectual Alexander Tyler once said, "the majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury."

We are heading in that direction quite quickly. Although in this case, it's not voting themselves money, it's voting for money to be spent on some country that has never done anything for us.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if you and GoT are paying taxes on your winnings, but I know I pay a lot of taxes, and it sure as hell better go to things here in America.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I pay taxes on my winnings (although I don't understand why what GoT does has anything to do with this discussion). And I think those tax dollars are better spent right now in the area effected by the earthquake than anything here in the states - including more freeways in the Seattle-Tacoma area, more guard at the borders, or public education in the U.S.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, that's bs. And we don't technically live in a democacy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say we lived in a democracy. But recently the majority of Americans decided they didn't want to allow same sex marraiges, so even though I support it, I live with the fact that our society doesn't. I lobby for it when I talk to those I know, and if I ever see it on a ballot I'll vote for it, but I deal with what our society mandated.

Call it a Republic or call it a Democracy, but what the American majority believes makes a difference. Whether it's in the form of a poll that our politicians see, an initiative or referrendum, or even the act of election politicians based on their stance on issues, the majority in America speaks.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:24 AM

It is obviously wrong to spend tax dollars on foreign aid like this. This is a matter for charity, not forced taxation. I'll let others elaborate.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is obviously wrong to spend tax dollars on foreign aid like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This by far the stupidest thing I have read today.

yeh, what a great idea . . . the have countries should hoard what they have and let the have not's fend for themselves in times of crisis.

How very American of you.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] busguy
Old 12-30-2004, 02:40 AM

How very Canadian of you. I take it you will be contributing all of your poker winnings to the victims of the tsunami, as well as any extra money you may have lying around.

They appreciate your support.

Hack.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if you and GoT are paying taxes on your winnings, but I know I pay a lot of taxes, and it sure as hell better go to things here in America.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I pay taxes on my winnings (although I don't understand why what GoT does has anything to do with this discussion). And I think those tax dollars are better spent right now in the area effected by the earthquake than anything here in the states - including more freeways in the Seattle-Tacoma area, more guard at the borders, or public education in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ] GoT has been going on and on about it already, you two are roomates, so I included him, for the sake of thr discussion, forget that though.

I am glad you don't decided where our tax money goes.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is obviously wrong to spend tax dollars on foreign aid like this. This is a matter for charity, not forced taxation. I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree 100%. Anything the U.S. government gives(in fact anything any country gives is) is going above and beyond the call of their duty, IMO. There are thousands of charities that can and will do more.