Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Your BETTING

[ QUOTE ]
im just wondering how long are you actually gonna last in a session if u keep betting in this manner, if u lose 1 hand, ur putting urself in a bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only bet in favorable situations. Check/fold otherwise. When you lose a big hand, REBUY.

M
Old 06-17-2005, 12:02 AM

2/3rd to a full pot is normal. There are times to over bet. Times to underbet would be when its unlikely to be straight or flush draws.

Value betting is with a hand that figure to win most of the time when called. Continuation bet is when you bet last round and it looks natural to bet this round. Protecting your hand is generally betting to shut out the draws, even if you are an underdog when you ARE called (imagine turning your hand up and then betting).

- Louie
Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 AM

My personal definitions:

It's a value bet if it improves your expectation even if all of your opponents reply correctly to it. (Compare with semibluff: -EV if all opponents replied correctly to it, but you believe it to be +EV because opponents fold incorrectly, and pure bluff: pot equity of zero if called.)

Protecting your hand: if you are ahead there always exists some optimal bet size (you don't always know what it is of course) that makes your opponent indifferent between calling and folding. To protect your hand is to bet more than this amount and make him either fold (reducing your variance) or or make an incorrect call (improving your expectation).

Edit: by "ahead" I mean "ahead now even if I am not a favorite to still be ahead on the river."
'Continuation bet' I suppose could mean any situation where the same player bets on two consecutive streets - but I usually think of it only applying to a situation where last round's raiser will bet any card on the next street (or at least will bet his unimproved hand on any blank.) Not a term I use much so I've not given it as much thought as the others.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the way i see it is that almost every pot u play if ur diong that ur gonna be using like half ur stack to play. u could take HUGE swings if u dont win the pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

its No limit...its not a timid game, you are going to take big swings and you are going to lose and win big pots. Unlike limit poker in no limit you have another weapon and that is your stack, you can use this weapon to make good hands fold and weak hands call. You use this weapon to set up an image for yourself and then the beauty of the game comes into play because thats where you use that image to get paid off. Maybe you bet out 3/4 of a pot on a continuation bet when you reraised a couple of rags preflop because you had position, you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar for a big pot on a stone bluff and it costs you your stack. That same showdown that cost you a buy in can end up being worth 3 or 4 times that in misinformation your opponents have. You gotta set em up and then take them out.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Here are my standards, they may change, but this is pretty much what I do right now:

When first in I make it 3BB. (That is on the low end of the spectrum, but I raise pretty liberally, so I like to keep it cheep.) When raising limpers, I add 1/2 to 1BB per limper depending on table conditions. (With more than 2 or 3 limpers, this kind of goes out the window and I bet based on what I hope to accomplish).

I am in the 2/3-3/4 continuation bet camp. I bet the same whether I hit or not (assuming I am betting when I miss, something I usually do if I was the pfr, but not always, and usually not if I got called in more than 2 places).

On the turn, if I bet, it is usually between 1/2 and 2/3 the pot. If there are draws I don't offer better than 3:1 for the caller, and usually worse than that if there are multiple opponents or multiple draws possible. (If I was bluffing on the flop, I usually give up on the turn, but will occasionally fire a second barrel if I think the opponent is capable of calling the flop with the intention of taking the pot away later.)

On the river there is a lot more variance in my bet size.

Also, position, the board and opponent are huge considerations that can quickly move me from standard bets and lines.