Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Default NYC Poker Room armed robbery

so, as it's been pointed out in another thread, an New York City poker room in lower Manhattan was robbed late last night. Don't want to say too much about it, I'm sure other people who were there post on this board also, so they can chime in if they would like.

Anyhow, I was curious as to speculation about this particular that was going on in the other thread. I have heard a variety of things at the club, about whether it is mob-tied, or the reason it had been running so long was a permit it had attained long ago (that is no longer being sold). They DO have fantastic pasta there. Also, the area used to be a BIG mob area (10-15 years ago). Just thought that if the club had mob ties, it wouldn't have gotten robbed.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Room armed robbery

What Genoa actually has and the newer clubs dont have is a what NYC calls a "Charter" back in the days you needed a charter to have a legit social club ....like the "knights of columbus".......I only know of one lawyer that still has the knowledge to get these hard to get charters.....actually he is responsible for getting the charters for the Knights of Columbus......
Old 11-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: NYC Poker Room armed robbery

Charters are not old or archaic and many clubs in the city actually were chartered as nonprofit social clubs (not unlike the Knights of Clumbus). These charters are not difficult to obtain just some paperwork from the state and legwork.