Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Default $11 rebuy hand

219 players left, 99 get money, The average stack is about what I have. Just moved to this table 7 hands ago.

Hand before this BB limped UTG with A2o and won a small pot off me when I completed the SB with a KJ and an Ace and King flopped. Went check-check to the river and i called a small bet on the river.

No Limit - Level XII (800/1600) Ante: 75
Seat 1: SB (41765 in chips)
Seat 2: BB(53961 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG(44966 in chips)
Seat 4: UTG+1 (26759 in chips)
Seat 5: MP1 (19297 in chips)
Seat 6: MP2 (13479 in chips)
Seat 7: MP3 (8470 in chips)
Seat 8: CO (133110 in chips)
Seat 9: Hero(Button) (42484 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [5s 8s]
UTG: folds
UTG+1: folds
MP1: calls 1600
MP2: folds
MP3: folds
CO: folds
(Hero) Button: calls 1600
SB: folds
BB: checks
*** FLOP *** [Js Ks Ts]
BB: bets 6400
MP1: calls 6400
Hero(Button): calls 6400
*** TURN *** [Js Ks Ts] [Ac]
BB: bets 45886 and is all-in
MP1: folds
Hero(Button): calls 34409 and is all-in

I called the bet on the flop because I didn't want another spade coming. When it didnt hit on the turn, I was going to move all in.

Should I have raised the flop? Should I not be limping with this at this stage in the tourny?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Default Re: $11 rebuy hand

[ QUOTE ]
I called the bet on the flop because I didn't want another spade coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 AM

dont you want to RAISE the flop? make em pay to see a spade?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:42 AM

If you're going to play an 8-high suited hand and you make your flush on the flop, that's the time to raise and avoid getting sucked out on with the turn or river.

I would avoid limping at this stage- raises will often steal the blinds and limps. but if you're going to raise with 85s and you get re-raised, you have to dump it. but it should be easy to dump. I hope you realize how lucky you are to hit that flop with these cards.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dont you want to RAISE the flop? make em pay to see a spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my thinking was, he was betting a pair and a flush draw, and wasn't going to lay it down no matter what.

I figured, if a spade hits the turn, I can get out cheap, if it doesn't he's going to bet again and we're going all in anyway.

I thought there was 0% chance he would fold to an all in raise on the flop, and also there was a 100% chance that we would be all in on a non-spade turn anyway (I figured him for a huge donk after the A2o limp UTG the hand before.)

So knowing this, it also appeared that MP was on a high spade draw also, so I might get him all in on the turn also if I let him see another card, (he might fold to my all in raise on the flop if BB called all in.)

Knowing all this, I figured with 7 spades out, (Flop-3, My-2, BB-1 MP-1), only 6 cards can hurt me on the turn, and so if I don't raise, I can get out on a bad turn card and if not we are getting all the chips in anyway.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to play an 8-high suited hand and you make your flush on the flop, that's the time to raise and avoid getting sucked out on with the turn or river.

I would avoid limping at this stage- raises will often steal the blinds and limps. but if you're going to raise with 85s and you get re-raised, you have to dump it. but it should be easy to dump. I hope you realize how lucky you are to hit that flop with these cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a major leak of mine i guess. I saw my button, and saw what I think are pretty cards, and try to make something happen.

I had no idea what MP was limping with, but I always think that these limpers have aces or something and I try to sneak in with a hand thats easy to dump if I miss yet can take MP's whole stack if I hit.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:21 AM

A limp here with just 1 limper isn't getting the right price. Plus I would rather limpers included an EP limper to discourage a steal from the blinds and have a better chance of getting paid off if he had AA/KK

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my thinking was, he was betting a pair and a flush draw, and wasn't going to lay it down no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

His range is a lot more than a pair with a flush draw that he could lay down to a push. Your flush is vulnerable and you need to protect it. I don't see how you can make this read with just 1 hand limped to the river. Even if he calls with a pair and a flush draw you are getting him to pay off a bad bet.

Since you are reporting this, I assume you lost to a higher flush which is kind of like losing to a set over set. In that case you just lose all your money and shrug your shoulders. However, if he catches a flush on the river you let him get away with it since you lost all folding equity after the flop.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he catches a flush on the river you let him get away with it since you lost all folding equity after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem, I know I dont have any fold equity after the flop, but, I dont have any reasonable fold equity on the flop.

On the flop the pot is 6275, BB bets 6400, MP 1 calls, (Pot, 19,075) if I raise all in ( I have 40,800 behind) thats gonna make the pot 60,000 and hes has to call 34,000 more)

Lets get serious for a second, he is NOT going to fold to my raise if he has a higher spade in his hand. Name me a hand you would fold in an $11 rebuy getting 2 to 1 at this point that has a higher spade.

If he has the ace or queen or ten, he's got a straight draw along with his flush draw, if the has any of these spades PLUS a pair, well then I could move in for a million chips and he would still call me.

The only hand I could see him considering folding is something like 9x with the 9 of spades, but lets get real about that.

So knowing this, if I raise all in on the flop,I'm only going to get a hand with no spades to fold, which is not what I want at all. If he wants to play KK,JJ,1010, 9s-x like this well then fine.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:48 PM

in the case where they both have a spade + draw and won't fold, your analysis is fine. the only problem is that you assumed that that's what they had for no reason at all.

here's another possibility: MP1 has something like Ac9s and BB has Kc4h. MP1 calls the flop hoping his draw is good. if you raise here, BB will come along drawing nearly dead and MP1 will fold, figuring his draw is probably no good.

and another: BB has Kc4h and MP1 has KdQh. they'd be happy to go to war on the flop, but you turn a spade. now you're risking getting pushed off the hand, or you won't get any action.

don't try to get so cute. this is like just calling AK on a QJT flop b/c you "know" villain has a set and want to make sure sure the board doesn't pair. fishy BB wants to put chips in as a big dog - let him.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:49 PM

I like the way you played this hand from start to finish. BB had a higher flush? is that why you posted it. The rebuy structure allows for limping even late, which is why it appeals to a lot of players. Just calling the flop is also fine since you have position on the turn, and are making sure youre hand doesnt get killed.