Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 PM

Default agree with this Card Player advice?

Check out today's quiz on the Card Player Web site:

[ QUOTE ]
Question: A $10-$20 game. You open on K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] with a raise from early position. A middle player, the cutoff, and the big blind call. There is $85 in the pot and four players. The flop is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving you an overpair and a backdoor flush-draw. The big blind checks. You bet. The middle player calls and the cutoff raises. The big blind folds. What do you do?

Answer: Call. With this board, there are a number of bad cards that can come off on the turn which hurt your hand. A ten, a nine, a seven, and a five are all bad, unless they include a diamond. Even with a diamond, you may be chasing instead of leading. If a blank comes on the turn you can bet. Just calling now does not obligate you to check on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first instinct here was to reraise. It's already a big pot, and we're ahead of everything but 99, 88 and 66 (it's seems unlikely the other hands that beat us called the PF raise). A reraise might get us HU with the CO, which limits the total possible outs against us to 10 or so. If the middle player calls again, there's maybe 14 total outs against us, and the pot is now huge. (I'm also assuming the BB will fold to the CO's raise.)

Thoughts? Do we have enough equity here to reraise, or is the Card Player answer correct?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: agree with this Card Player advice?

I agree with you. My first instinct was to reraise also. If it were HU, I would say waiting until the turn is a good idea, but with the third player stuck in the middle there, a reraise could get him to fold. The raiser could have A9 or a smaller overpair that you're still ahead of. The caller could have just a wide range of hands and draws that I feel like you have to charge with a reraise.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:58 PM

I've read "How Good Is Your Limit Hold'Em" by Jim Brier, who probably wrote this article. He advocates this move a lot in his book. He doesnt pay enough attention to protecting his hand from the other players. And so what if a bad card comes? are you going to fold to a bet? you are still risking giving a free card to a different draw if you just check. I just dont see constantly donk betting blanks in multiway pots as a strong move. now show me a well-executed stop-n-go in the right circumstances and ill clap.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 PM

That's an auto-3bet for me. I'm glad I don't waste my time reading CP anymore.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:58 PM

I'll 3-bet this without even blinking. Combination of a straight up value bet with what's very likely the best hand and protecting that hand against redraws from the MP player.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM

3-bet and lead a non-7, non-5 turn if capped. Check/call those, check/folding if it's 2 back to you (and you did not pick up a flush draw). MP is gonna call with whatever he coldcalled with so his flop call means nothing. CO will be raising with a whole bunch of hands that you beat. CO may well cap the flop with a draw if he believes it will get him the turn free card, after you've 3-bet the flop.

This has nothing to do with protecting your hand, as the pot is already too big to effectively do that. It's all about raising for value, as you very likely have the best hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 PM

Default What if the pot were smaller?

If the pot were smaller (say just $45 on the flop), would it be worthwhile just calling the raise on the flop and trying to check-raise MP out of the pot on the turn?