Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-14-2005, 05:04 AM

Default ATs in SB

Villain is TAGgy. He and I have been going at it when the table goes short and have both caught each other with less than the goods. That said, we're both still playing pretty straightforward poker.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG raises, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero re-raises, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets, Hero folds.

Both streets questionable.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: ATs in SB

I would just fold PF. You're OOP against a decent player and your hand isn't exactly killing his range. Given the 3-bet the flop is fine. There's really not much you can do there. If he's doing this consistently you can start raising him light, but it doesn't sound like that's happening yet.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 AM

pretty sure pf is right
not so certain about the flop though, the donk puts you in a tough spot. i feel like a raise here will get 3 bet by a lot of hands, so i dont think a fold is so bad. still not too sure that the math would work out if i looked at his hand ranges.

lets assume its 99-66 (frob wouldve capped tt-aa)
ajs-a8s (prob wouldve capped aks-aqs
aj-at
kqs-kts
qjs

looking at these i think its probably a fold, but im starting to think i suck at 6 max
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 AM

NH.

It appears to be close between calling and folding on the flop due to your backdoor draws, and the fact all 3 A's are usually outs (the standard play is to cap anything where your A's aren't outs except 66), but he might be smoothcalling a monster PF to mix it up and your backdoor straight draws only give you gutshots on the turn so you probably won't be able to carry on with just that.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and your backdoor straight draws only give you gutshots on the turn so you probably won't be able to carry on with just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Havent thought about this before. Makes it a fold for me too
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 AM

Phew, controversy. It's not just me then.

I think preflop is the toughest street by far here. ATs is way playable against 1 or 2 people, even against a PFR, so I don't like folding. I don't want to let the BB in with 5:1 odds, because he's pretty TAGgy too and could cause some trouble, so I don't like calling. UTG raised, err, UTG and he usually has pretty good cards when he does this making me play a dominated hand a good bit of the time here, so I don't like raising.

Can I have my blind back and just sit this hand out?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 AM

I play it exactly the same most of the time.

Don't think he has a K, though. Probably a PP smaller than a K, and he wants to see if you have a K. If you think he can make a turn fold if you raise the flop, do it.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 AM

Also, I think the flop is a raise or fold. I would never call here. This is a drawless board, and it is unlikely he'll keep bluffing into us if we peel the flop.