Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Checking to coldcaller

I don't have any read on the coldcaller.
BB is 45/15. He is too loose and peels a lot. But he can fold on big streets.

I think the flop check is standard. What about the flop call? I thought I might get a honest answer from CO on the turn if both of us call (=he might check behind AQ), so thatswhy the peel without enough odds.

---
Bonus question No1:
I was also thinking what flop would I have bet 3-handed or only with a coldcaller if I didn't hit a K/J.
Would you bet A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] HU/3-handed for example?

Bonus Question No2:
list me your hands you raise preflop and bet this flop with this lineup?
---

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Checking to coldcaller

I think you have to bet the flop. You could have the best hand, and if not you have overcards and a backdoor flush. You are giving up most of your fold equity by checking here, and I think that is bad. If you bet the flop, sure CO may peel one, but then he is folding a ton on the turn. I think giving a free card here would also be pretty bad.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't mind the flop check. Usually coldcallers will call a flop bet and if you think BB will also peel then you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to fire a 2 barrel semi-bluff on this board. I don't think so. Check-call is fine. The turn will often get checked through by CO after he gets 2 callers on the flop.

I think this is an easy spot to overplay overcards by jamming the flop.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the flop check. Usually coldcallers will call a flop bet and if you think BB will also peel then you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to fire a 2 barrel semi-bluff on this board. I don't think so. Check-call is fine. The turn will often get checked through by CO after he gets 2 callers on the flop.

I think this is an easy spot to overplay overcards by jamming the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call this jamming the flop. Although he may peel, occasionally we win this outright on the flop. Furthermore, we can easily have the best hand, yet be giving a dangerous free card.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 PM

I think we rarely win this on the flop with a bet. There are absolutely no scare cards on this board for our opponents. From villain's standpoint, a bet on our part looks just like what it is. Make it Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I like the bet better. OP's play looks fine IMO.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call this jamming the flop. Although he may peel, occasionally we win this outright on the flop. Furthermore, we can easily have the best hand, yet be giving a dangerous free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to bet every flop with overcards and that's why people have flop AF of 3.5+ and wonder why they aren't winning more. You have to look at flops and determine which ones you can win by sheer aggression without showdown. As a rule, a coldcaller is harder to fold than a limper that you raised. Throw in his read on BB and you are looking at almost always having to fire a 2-barrel bluff with King high. Add the fact that a 4-flush or OESD or pair is never folding before the river and you have a recipe for a 3-barrel bluff that might not even work.