Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: A9o on the button after an UTG limp.
call 6 6.25%
raise 72 75.00%
fold 18 18.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Who Is The Best Pitcher In The AL Right Now?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Twinkies are going to rule the next 10 years. This year's dismal performance (and still only 3.5 out of the Wild Card) is just a fluke. They're getting it together. It's on!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting (albeit misguided) perspective. I'd be interested to hear what this is based on.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that they've got arguably the best starter in baseball right now in Johan, a decent rotation of starters including always reliable Brad Radke and a young Kyle Lohse, the best pen in the majors (yes, even though Mariano is the best closer) and a group of great young everyday players, especially Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau. Add in guys like Lew Ford who has been ridiculous in Torii's spot, and that's a pretty damn good team. Their results in the last week or two show what they do when they actually hit the ball.

Series against the Sox starting tomorrow. 10 more games against them the rest of the year, I say the Twins win 7. And I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Sox fan, it pains me to say it, but I really do respect what the Twins have been able to do. We're still up on the Twins by 12 games in the loss column though. I think the lead is safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're a scrappy bunch. It'll be interesting if it comes down to 4 or 5 games in September.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Back to the original topic... its that time of the year, Johan Santana is now the best pitcher in the AL.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM

I'm a little bit surprised after having posted this poll. I really kind of expected that Halladay would at least be more competetive with in the voting, if not run away with it. FWIW, my vote was for Rich Harden. I think since he returned from his abdominal strain earlier this year, he's been pretty much lights out. That said, I expected the voting to focus mostly on Santana and Halladay, and I'm kind of surprised that Halladay wasn't really that close. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:08 PM

Halladay is the best. If he is healthy he is unhittable and never leaves the game. Id take him all day.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:20 PM

the question was 'right now'.

so...
who do we think wins the cy young?

personally, i think santana will take it again, since his numbers get better every week. But Rivera is in it...who else?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the question was 'right now'.

so...
who do we think wins the cy young?

personally, i think santana will take it again, since his numbers get better every week. But Rivera is in it...who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

If things continue in this direction, you could be right. But taking the entire season into account, I don't think you can overlook Jon Garland, especially if the White Sox end up with the best record in the AL.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rivera is in it...who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW...what's with all the "Rivera for Cy" love? Compared to recent closers that have won the Cy, Gagne and Eckersley, is he really having that kind of a year? Before all the Yankees fans jump me here, let me say I think he's great, and has been the best closer in the game for 8 or 9 years now. That's an unbelievable run for somebody who does that job. But has he really distanced himself from the other closers in the AL, let alone the deserving starters?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM

The ead looked a lot safer 2 weeks ago. The sox are still probably 80-09% to win the division, but with 10 against the twins and 6 against the tribe left (including the last series of the year) we might very well see a serious race after all.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Rivera

Hey, [censored] you buddy- 69-56 and tied for the wild card right now. [censored] off.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM

Halladay has slightly better stats than Santana. Why does everyone seem so quick to discount him?